Help the BBC using your PC

freaky 14:45 15 Feb 2006

The BBC are researching the effects of global warming - they need more PC capacity.

If you are interested in using your PC to assist in this, then click on the following link - it is self-explanatory.

click here

SG Atlantis® 17:14 15 Feb 2006

I installed it already, seems a bit crashy.

spikeychris 18:48 15 Feb 2006

I have installed on all my work and home machines. I haven’t come across any problems yet.

SG Atlantis® 18:54 15 Feb 2006

It was unresponsive when the screensaver came on. Since then the computer has been rebooted and it's been good, the 3d model is cool.

Note it says not to install this if you think you won't keep it on for the duration, months in length. It causes them extra work if you quit part way through!

g40 20:13 15 Feb 2006

This similar idea has the added advantage of possible cures in the short term, but both are honourable causes.

click here

freaky 21:03 15 Feb 2006

Glad to hear that a number of you are supporting a cause !

Have not had any problems with it so far, and it appears to be processing climate conditions from many years ago. Also, cannot see any resultant slow down in the PC's operation.

It is a similar programme to SETI - Search for Extra Terrestial Life - but not quite as sophisticated.

The link supplied by g40 is also a good cause.

€dstowe 14:43 17 Feb 2006

Will this tip those on low capped services over the top of their allowance?

freaky 15:30 17 Feb 2006

I would not have thought so because you are uploading the processed data, not downloading.

In fact I think it only upload's once you have processed the batch of data that was initially sent to you.

SG Atlantis® 16:39 17 Feb 2006

You download a model for the 1920's and then you run it until 2000. If what your model looks like a feasible scenario for the year 2000, when it's compared, you then carry on for a hundred years I think.

No major downloading, and a bit of uploading all the work is carried out on your computer and checked very periodicially.

€dstowe 16:43 17 Feb 2006

Ah! I see, thanks.

SG Atlantis® 17:00 17 Feb 2006

I have been running the model for a few days. I have completed one year which is 0.63% I'm at december 1921.

It'll take months click here for what mine looks like now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone