Health Secretary Andrew Lansley

Forum Editor 00:23 05 Apr 2011

says ministers will "pause" for consultation on a planned NHS shake-up in England.

Am I alone on hoping that the pause lasts for many years?

Kevscar1 05:57 05 Apr 2011

Yes

uk-wizard 06:39 05 Apr 2011

No - I would like to see reforms but after a long pause in any meddling. let it settle down and not have people interfering and changing things they often know nothing about - bring back evolution and forget about mass wipe-outs.

john 52 07:23 05 Apr 2011

Yes

It took many years and a lot of money to get the NHS back into a reasonable shape again do they not realize that to restructure a service costs money .
This may come back to bite them in the backside if they are not careful

Quiller. 08:58 05 Apr 2011

Untill May the 6th.

The coalition could be on a thumping already with local and AV elections. If they try to push through the health reform, it could be a blood bath.

morddwyd 09:12 05 Apr 2011

The NHS seems to be like education in this respect.

Every other week there is an announcement of yet another reform, review, strategy discussion, consultation exercise etc.

carver 09:32 05 Apr 2011

All I see in these reforms is cost cutting, no clear idea of how it will work in the long term.

This isn't an end to the nanny state it's a start of a private health service that GP's will not be able to control.

One aspect of these reforms is that any private hospital can tender for your operation and in theory the cheapest one can and should get it, not the one you want, so that operation you so desperately need may have to get performed 50 miles from your home.

timsmith259 10:10 05 Apr 2011

did you know during some operations in the private sector have complications and the private sector ships these patients out to the NHS to resolve.

Most private hospitals don't have the resources to deal with complications

flycatcher1 10:22 05 Apr 2011

From earlier posts I know that the FE has had very good experiences with the NHS. Together with many others we have - but we have also experienced and know of inferior treatment.

I am not at all sure that the proposed changes are right but the fact that most GPs and NHS Staff are aginst them gives pause for thought.

The BMA fought tooth and nail aginst the NHS and they also fought to reduce Doctor's hours but to increase their pay. Many Doctors do the required hours but work only a four day week. Never at the week-end or on Public Holidays.

My Mother was a Nurse - really caring person - but would never have achieved a degree. I read in the papers that "caring for old people is not given a high priority" in training. You cannot teach caring but it is a vital part of nursing.

If you think that the NHS is not able to provide the required service without a reduction in costs have a look at the posts on Hospital Porridge!

Cancer treatment is often not carried out at weekends and a friend of mine is having his treatment altered so that the staff can have a day off for the Royal Wedding.

Try being taken to hospital on January 1st, as we did, and see how many people are working. The ones that were there were brilliant but grossly overworked.

If the Police, Fire Service and others can provide a 24hr/ 365 day cover why cannot the NHS be organised in the same way?

oresome 10:28 05 Apr 2011

The NHS is a vast organisation.

Before introducing a change as fundamental as that proposed surely you'd expect a much smaller scale trial to see if it worked and to iron out any issues that arose if possible.

You'd then review the results of the trial before moving on.

I don't pretend to understand the workings of the NHS or the present proposals, other than a complete tier of the organisation is to be removed.

I can't imagine that this work can be seamlessly shifted to GPs to do. They'll employ others to do it for them who will eventually amalgamate with other groups and eventually form another tier similar to the one disbanded!

interzone55 10:30 05 Apr 2011

No, you're definitely not alone.

Rochdale Infirmary was re-built less than 10 years ago at a cost of tens of millions.
As it stands they've now closed A&E, Maternity and most of the high-dependency beds. Just this week they've now decided to shut the walk-in centre that took a lot of load off the A&E department and local GPs, it also had a brilliant dental department providing emergency treatment to all those not fortunate enough to have access to a NHS dentist.

Yes, the NHS does need reform, they're wasting a lot of money building new fancy community clinics that are under-used, but to hand control of the purse-strings to GPs is a very bad move, because GPs should be caring for their patients not pretending to be accountants...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone