Health & Safety

babybell 12:14 01 Sep 2008

Working for a construction company that is obviously hot on health and safety issues, I thought by now that everything would have been covered, but we have now been told today that everyone who drives to work MUST reverse park their cars into spaces to avoid running someone over on the way out of the space later on. I'm just waiting for the day when a mirror gets erected opposite the entrance to our works kitchen to stop possible collisions with trays of hot tea!

DieSse 12:29 01 Sep 2008

How about - you must drive into a space, so you don't reverse into something or somebody already there?

The way you avoid running over somebody at any time in any circumstances is - you take great care. Surely that's so obvious it doesn't even need saying?

babybell 12:33 01 Sep 2008

Well I believe the principal behind it is that there shouldn't be anything or anyone in the space because as you drive towards it you can see it is clear, whereas if you need to reverse back out of the space later on, you may not see people walking behind the other parked cars towards their car and therefore you may hit them.

egapup 12:39 01 Sep 2008

Why dont we just wrap ourselves in cotton wool and stay in bed all day.

DieSse 13:05 01 Sep 2008

Tell them they should redesign their parking spaces, so that you can drive in and drive out - because that would be much safer.

Might raise an eyebrow or two!

Bingalau 13:07 01 Sep 2008

It is much more sensible to reverse in to a space ready to drive out again. I would have thought it was common sense.

WhiteTruckMan 13:32 01 Sep 2008

wherever possible to reverse into somewhere rather than drive in, Especially in an artic. I have seen far too many inexperienced drivers struggle to get out of somewhere they have blissfully driven into without a moments thought.

WTM

anskyber 14:00 01 Sep 2008

It all sounds very sensible, I imagine most of us have nearly been hit by a car reversing out of a parking bay when the driver could not see and was clearly hoping and praying nothing was coming.

Whether it should be translated into a work directive is another matter, OK for general guidance I suppose and if it was in that light what harm could come from it whereas there could be some gain.

laurie53 14:44 01 Sep 2008

If you had ever seen 50+ cars trying to reverse out of parking spaces because the building they were parked next to was on fire, while five pumps were trying to get in, you would see the sense of it!

peter99co 14:50 01 Sep 2008

The C & A shop in Nottingham had a dock for articulated lorry deliveries and it was down a narrow allyway. A woman stepped behind the truck just as he backed in to the gap. He continued reversing to the dock. Luckily she was able to get up the dock steps and had to go out through the shop.

A driver at our supermarket reversed and hit my car as I drove slowly past and on another day a little girl who was returning a trolley was knocked over by a driver who was not able to see her because the girl and the trolley where lower than the back window. Both incidents would not have occured if the cars had revered in on arrival.

interzone55 15:08 01 Sep 2008

If pedestrians looked where they were going they would spot cars reversing out of spaces, after all, why is it always the drivers fault.

On saturday I saw a man walk into the side of an ambulance because he was too busy gawping at an old person who'd collapsed. He somehow hadn't spotted the large, brightly colour vehicle with flashing lights on top.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?