HDTV

james55 20:38 23 Mar 2005

Looks like more than 38.8% of us are confused click here

stalion 20:56 23 Mar 2005

more like 99% lol

Forum Editor 21:15 23 Mar 2005

and I freely confess I'm one of the 38.8% who are confused. I was at my local PC World store last weekend, and right next door there's a giant new Curry's store. I wandered in, and spent half an hour prowling around the TV section. There must have been around 70 or 80 TV sets on display, and the information on the tickets was confusing, to say the least. The section staff seemed more interested in clustering around their own computer than helping customers - there were five of them in a tight little group around the screen - so I wandered back out again, and drove home.

My business partner has just bought a new set from John Lewis. He says it's future-proof, but I'm deeply suspicious of such vague phrases. It cost an arm and a leg, so I hope he's right.

james55 21:21 23 Mar 2005

FE like most of us I bought a widescreen TV a few years ago. I am still waiting for the full benefit, however I still enjoy it.

VoG II 21:25 23 Mar 2005

Oh, it must be something to do with television!

I have no intention of buying one as I spend much of my spare time sitting in front of a different sort of box these days. But if I did, it would be from John Lewis, futureproof or not.

Dan the Confused 21:50 23 Mar 2005

I hardly ever watch TV anymore and am more than happy with my 20" CRT with Ceefax and remote control.

I do listen to a lot of radio however, which seems to have it's benefits. I was listening to the Mark Griffiths show on Classic FM last night and won one of the anagram questions - a fruit called 'mink pup', so I emailed pumpkin as the answer. I think it's the first time I've ever won anything so I'm well chuffed.

The CD is in the post :)

wiz-king 22:00 23 Mar 2005

Dont tell me you are another person who only find about one or two hours of tv a week worth watching, I thought I was the only one. I watch the news while I am cooking/eating dinner and that about it, record about 2hrs of programs a week because they are on while I am out but sometimes go for 3 weeks without finding a program to record or watch. Not worried about HDTV but would like to get freeview at a decent strenght, only about 5 miles from Crystal Palace but in a glaciated valley and can only see the sky! Cant even receive tv down here except from a local relay and that doesn't have freeview.

TOPCAT® 00:03 24 Mar 2005

the wind blows regarding HDTV. Rigga's link from a previous thread in Consumerwatch, reproduced here, outlines the confusion that exists over this format. Even the EU authority concerned hasn't yet decided which of the different types of high definition to go for. You need to know that, plus a confirmation from our PAL authority before parting with your money.

This article is heavy reading but, over its seven pages gives an insight into the confusion that plagues the whole industry. It goes beyond the means to view HD - the humble TV - but encompasses many areas, such as compatibility with the current DVD format when Blue-ray Disk technology and other formats struggle to find markets on their release here. Initially, all these products will be extremely expensive and only what the consumer decrees is value for money will make the grade, I think. I'll be waiting until the dust settles and the prices get reasonable before I take the plunge. TC.

click here

powerless 00:22 24 Mar 2005

There are no [err apart from sky?] tv people broadcasting in HDTV, so you got the tele but not HDTV as we want to know it.

georgemac © 07:37 24 Mar 2005

I will be buying a new set, but am not going to shell out for plasma or HDTV - up here we still can't get freeview digital, and the local transmitter is not very good - I am about off my head trying to get a decent BBC1 picture.

Have tried signal boosters, high gain aerials - the lot.

Looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and get sky to get a decent picture, but then it will be taken over by the kids and I still won't get a decent BBC1 picture!

I was going to buy a 32" widescreen from John Lewis as they all come with a free 5 year gaurantee but the choice now is nothing like it was.

click here think it will be this one - pixel plus 2 is tempting but is an extra £400.

georgemac © 07:39 24 Mar 2005

pixel plus 2 click here+(CRT)&Type=SKU&Id=230198748

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie