Having been given a counterfeit £20 note

jakimo 18:51 19 Jun 2008

and now knowing that person new it was counterfeit before giving it to me,I concluded that the police would be interested,Not so,they say passing a counterfeit note is a civil and not a criminal matter.

Has the problem got so big that the police have given up,even though the distributor is known?

anskyber 18:56 19 Jun 2008

It's the burden of proof.

The person who gave it to you would no doubt protest innocence and proving otherwise would be very difficult.

The Police on the other hand would find it easier to deliver proof if they could establish that person(s) actually produced the money by discovering the printing press or whatever.

belfman 18:57 19 Jun 2008

Could you not tell it was fake? click here

johndrew 19:46 19 Jun 2008

I believe that knowingly passing (or `uttering` as I think it is known legally) forged currency is a criminal offence click here and click here and click here

spuds 20:26 19 Jun 2008

How the West Midland's police deal with counterfeits click here

jakimo 17:48 20 Jun 2008

On making enquiries the person who passed on the counterfeit to me told a local shopkeeper that he had been tricked into taking 8 £20 forged notes.

What the person concerned is not aware of is that the local shopkeeper told me of the conversation about 8 forged notes he had with the person and could confirmed the time when it took place, which was before I was handed the forged note,so he clearly new the note that he handed to me was not the genuine article.

What is a mystery to both me and the shopkeeper is why he told the shopkeeper anything at all about the forgeries ,unless it was some sort of alibi.

However the West Midlands Police insists its a civil matter

peter99co 17:52 20 Jun 2008

What do you do now? Did the police say you should see a solicitor so they can make some money out of it as well.

Kev.Ifty 21:51 20 Jun 2008

Thanks.

Your post is now on a site that is renown throughout the world for its expert advice...Welcome!

Forum Editor 08:41 21 Jun 2008

to knowingly be in possession of counterfeit banknotes.

The critical word is of course 'knowingly'.

sunny staines 10:22 21 Jun 2008

hairspray on dud notes fools some of the test devices. nothing beats examination by eye.

Cymro. 10:41 21 Jun 2008

I fully understand the bit about claiming you money back being a civil matter but why on earth did the police seem to be so uninterested in investigating the matter further?

Did the police take the counterfeit note from you? If they did take it then perhaps they do after all intend to look in to the matter and at least it will go down on the statistics as am crime.

Not that that would help you to get your money back but if the police don`t even keep such banknotes then people who find they have been duped by such things will be very tempted to say nothing to the police and just pass the note on to some other mug.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone