Have you run out of things to worry about?

Forum Editor 16:56 25 Sep 2014

Relax, the dark side comes to the rescue!

Forum Editor 17:20 25 Sep 2014

I ought to add that we'll be publishing some advice on this threat soon - probably tomorrow. I'll make sure we place a link to the information as soon as it's online.

sunnypete 17:21 25 Sep 2014

Thought it might be that, leaving it to you to solve...

rdave13 18:38 25 Sep 2014

Ah it's alright. Apple and Linux will learn off Windows. After all Microsoft has been taking the brunt of this kind of attacks for decades.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:12 25 Sep 2014

Well it should put a stop to gloating Apple owners claim of invulnerability.

QuizMan 21:03 25 Sep 2014

Vulnerability, no connectivity on new iPhone and "bendgate". Apple are not having a good day.

rdave13 21:07 25 Sep 2014

Sales are good though.

spuds 00:27 26 Sep 2014

Looks like a case of severe hibernation for most folk, because apparently the world's becoming a very unsafe or insecure place, with one thing or another :O(

Just make you wonder how many bugs, virus's et al are out there waiting to be found, before they cause possible havoc?.

Forum Editor 07:07 26 Sep 2014

Rumpelteazer

As I understand it, a web server could be used to direct visitors to malicious sites, but as far as I know it hasn't been done yet. I think most web servers will be patched pretty quickly.

Let's remember that these scares seldom turn out to be as dire as predicted - the industry doesn't just sit there, doing nothing. Patches have already been released for Linux, and there will be more. Panic is certainly not the word to use, but there are obvious concerns.

spuds 11:20 26 Sep 2014

I am beginning to find it rather strange that the BBC are highlighting these type of stories or incidents, when the actual commercial interests are seemingly not letting it be known, or doing much about internet safety or security, as perhaps they should. I appreciate that scaremongering or conspiracy theories might come into being, and alarm might cause more harm in the long term, and possibly after any event.

Only today, I was reading briefly about a 'known' problem with eBay,that apparently started back in February, regarding possible hacking, which is still going on today. This as nothing to do with the recent scare, that eBay requested password changes, its something that might have been known earlier, and its very professionally done, with the use of eBay fake listings and redirection.

According to the article, the BBC investigation as subsequently uncovered 64 false listings within a 15 day period in September alone, across a range of products. The BBC also stated that the problems still remained on the website 12 hours after being reported. This is how this particular incident is being done, for anyone interested. YouTube video click here

LastChip 00:40 27 Sep 2014

It's easy enough to check and patch, but I can't post the code within this thread due to the (not unreasonable) limitations for code within posts.

It is however a potentially serious threat and should not be taken lightly. I suspect most of us running Linux servers would be aware of this by now and done the check and patched if necessary.

As our FE says, no one with any brains stands still when threats are reported.

On the positive side, although this bug is years old, it's only been discovered very recently and within hours, patches had been released.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?