Have you had a call like this?

BigRik 16:48 15 Nov 2006

Yesterday afternoon, around 16:30, I answered the phone to a female who just said that I should phone the following number to arrange delivery of a radio. She gave the number (07011 134542), said goodbye, and before I could get a word in, hung up. It didn't sound like a recorded message.

I have not rung back as no radio has been ordered and I therefore think this may be some kind of phone scam. Of course, it could just be they dialled the wrong number.

Have any of you heard of this before?

Kate B 16:51 15 Nov 2006

Sounds as though it will cost you money! It's probably a premium line, if nothing else, and some kind of sales pitch.

Mr Mistoffelees 17:00 15 Nov 2006

That code, 07011, appears to originate here click here

g0slp 17:05 15 Nov 2006

I have had a similar thing happen. I think that the scam is that although costs per minute aren't too horrendous (certainly compared to some 09xx numbers etc) the scammers have an answering machine which holds you on the line for a while, all the time costing you csh.

Only a few pence here & there over a month can add up...

SB23 17:06 15 Nov 2006

Phone scam or wrong number, you'd at least expect her to of confirmed your details with you, well, if it had been genuine of course.

g0slp 17:06 15 Nov 2006

cash...

Another trypping error...

BigRik 17:36 15 Nov 2006

I had a feeling something wasn't right, and you seem to agree.

Here's another potential `victim` they WON'T be making a fast buck out of!

BRYNIT 17:42 15 Nov 2006

Yes but as the person did not ask for me by name and would not answer my questions. I did not bother. If it was not a scam they would phone me again.

BigRik 17:51 15 Nov 2006

That's pretty much what my wife said. If it's important (or genuine) they'll call back.

laurie53 12:19 16 Nov 2006

This or similar has received some recent publicity.

In a reported case the phone number number is in Belize, and it has cost you £7.50 as soon as the phone is answered.

If it sounds too good to be true..........

Laurie

Vangeliska 14:53 16 Nov 2006

There is NO Telecoms company that can charge you £7.50 (usually said to be £15) either on answering or per minute, another Urban Legend!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?