have you got or used a metal detector?

Sapins 15:40 12 May 2017

Thinking of buying a Metal Detector but the range is mind blowing. Maybe pay up to £250. Never used one so a complete beginner.

Old Deuteronomy 16:28 12 May 2017

Never tried one but, have watched this: The Detectorists (BBC Four).

bumpkin 22:02 12 May 2017

I considered getting one but decided against on the basis that so many others have had them for years often top of the range ones and most known good sites have been done to death.

On the brighter side it is good exercise and you may find it interesting if you come home with more that a hand full of tin foil, plus there is the "you never know factor". Give it a try if you wish but not for me as unless I find a pot of gold first day I will get bored with it in no time.

Forum Editor 22:18 12 May 2017

'The detectorists' on BBC 4 was an absolute TV gem - quality stuff that we should have more of.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:14 13 May 2017

the one I use finds pipes and cables buried in walls ;0)

oresome 11:25 14 May 2017

There is a re-run of the Detectorists being broadcast on BBC2 starting Monday 10pm. Well worth a second look.

Sorry Sapin, this doesn't help with your query but once you've watched the troubled souls in the programme it may put you off buying one!

Belatucadrus 11:49 14 May 2017

Considering how much of any value is located compared with how many detectors have been sold. I suspect you'd get much the same effect from walking around the countryside with a plate glued to a broom-handle saying beep at regular intervals only with a much lower initial outlay.

john bunyan 16:08 14 May 2017

Some "Detectors"!have struck it rich- see

viking hoard worth £1.9 million

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:17 14 May 2017

Belatucadrus at least it gets you out of the house and gives you some exercise :0)

Aitchbee 17:16 14 May 2017

When I worked with BT I sometimes used a cable detector on copper/aluminium wires and also for old lead-sheathed cables when out in the field 'fault-locating'. Accuraccy was vital as it usually meant digging with picks & shovels or crowbars and cango-hammers.

morddwyd 20:33 09 Oct 2017

Only in it's original form, as a mine detector!

(Just getting the lamp swinging a bit!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review

How to draw a mandala

iPhone X review

Musique en streaming : Spotify vs Deezer