Have you ever wondered about electricity supplies?

Forum Editor 10:28 02 Mar 2008

How the providers forecast demand, and make arrangements to meet it.

Our society relies almost totally on electricity for its day to day existence, yet relatively few of us have much idea about how the generating companies ensure there's enough to go round, and that it's delivered where it's needed, when it's needed.

click here

is a fascinating little insight into how it's done.

lofty29 10:41 02 Mar 2008

I remember during the miners strike, a typical government rox -up, they decided that in order to save power tv stations all had to shut down at 10pm, what they did not allow for was all the extra lights and kettles going on at the same time as the tv switched off. Another problem was caused by some factory's who went onto shift working so as to get around the rolling power cuts.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:51 02 Mar 2008

"Most of the flexibility is provided by fossil fuel power stations where it's easier to vary the output than, for example, a nuclear plant," observes Mr Larque.

Can you ask the wind to blow harder as its time to put the kettle on?

:0)

Cymro. 10:59 02 Mar 2008

click here

Could be part of the answer but very expensive to build and difficult to find suitable locations for them.

Cymro. 11:01 02 Mar 2008

click here

A better illustration of the same thing.

Forum Editor 11:07 02 Mar 2008

There's a big one of those in Tennessee.

Cymro. 11:25 02 Mar 2008

The one in Snowdonia is open to the public and is a very good day out if ever up this way.

Forum Editor 11:28 02 Mar 2008

My ancestral territory, but I don't get there as often as I would like.

Cymro. 11:32 02 Mar 2008

I wonder if we will ever live to see anything like the Severn Barrage being built. It could be an answer to a lot of out energy problems.
click here

Cymro. 11:37 02 Mar 2008

I bet those damned environmentalists and their love of animals would try to put a stop to it.
Yes I know, so I will not go down that way on a Sunday morning L.O.L.

Forum Editor 12:00 02 Mar 2008

with their love of animals might have a point. The Severn estuary provides a winter feeding ground for almost 100,000 water birds, and a tidal barrier would have an adverse impact on them.

In the end it comes down to choices, and money of course £15 billion isn't an insignificant amount.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?