Have you cleared the snow from the walkways

TopCat® 22:05 07 Jan 2010

on your property? In some countries it's considered to be a civic duty and penalties can and will be levied to defaulters.

Clearing the public footpath in front of your home here could possibly leave you open to legal action, but you are expected to clear certain walkways on your own land. click here

I've already cleared and salted ours after the first snowfall, as a matter of habit, not for fear of any litigation but for my own satisfaction and convenience. How about you? TC.

Grey Goo 22:26 07 Jan 2010

The pavement in front of my house is a "Public" pavement as is the road. The Council (Bromley) can't be arsed to grit anything around here and the nearest saltbox is over a mile away. They do grit the bus routes and the estates where most of the residents pay SFA in Council tax though.

bri-an 22:42 07 Jan 2010

"..and the estates where most of the residents pay SFA in Council tax though"

I think you will find they all actually pay rates, (but why they are paying it to the Scottish Football Association - only you appear to know), perhaps some pay it out of their benefits, but they still do pay.
Or do you mean Lord ... isn't paying rates on his estate?

Why do topics invariably become, 'let's knock the citizens of estates' as they're mainly skivers anyway? Change the record, please.

peter99co 23:09 07 Jan 2010

Our city council has left the salt bins empty because they say people are taking the salt to clear their drivways and the salt was only intended for use on the pavements.

The county council has said the people who do not live locally are taking salt out of the bins so they are not refilling theirs either.

I have purchased rock salt from my local builders merchants and will use it as and when it is required on my driveway. The pavement can stay as it is as far as I am concerned.

Forum Editor 23:38 07 Jan 2010

where people seem to be a good deal more community-minded than in this country you see people happily clearing the snow away from the pavement in front of their house.

I suppose they do it knowing that their neighbours will do the same, so everyone benefits.

Too much to ask here, I suppose. Everyone's too intent on leaving it for someone else. It's called the British way - the "why should I do something for nothing" syndrome.

peter99co 23:44 07 Jan 2010

FE

I used to clear my front but out of 22 houses in the group there were only 3 who did.

nuf sed.

morddwyd 07:04 08 Jan 2010

"Clearing the public footpath in front of your home here could possibly leave you open to legal action"

Now being suggested that this is an urban myth with no basis in law.

KremmenUK 07:48 08 Jan 2010

This country is fast following the US. With the increase of these 'no win no fee' sites I wouldn't risk it.

I have cleared my path to the public path and ensured that the snow is still on my land.

BT 08:24 08 Jan 2010

We have some friends who live just outside Chicago and they are obliged to clear the footway infront of their house. Its a useful source of income for students at this time of year. They had over 4 foot of snow over Christmas.

Quickbeam 08:43 08 Jan 2010

"In some countries it's considered to be a civic duty"
It used to here, but as pointed out... who can we sue for some easy money. In the early '60s freeze I remember that everyone cleared the pavement outside of their house, and within hours the whole neighbourhood had clear walkways.

There needs to be a change in the law that acknowledges common sense, and free people from fear of being sued. But before that, we need some lawmakers with some common sense, that also live of the same planet as me...

Rant off chest:)

bri-an 08:50 08 Jan 2010

Yesterday, a lawyer said that for any prosecution to have any chance in cases like this it would need to be proved that there was malicious intent in the snow clearing action, or callous disregard for others safety - and he felt anyone trying it would get nowhere.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017