Have We Just Declared War on Someone?

SimpleSimon1 16:53 11 Aug 2012

About 1 hr ago, a Vulcan bomber (presumably XH558) overflew Newbury at low altitude going South. She's just come back again at an even lower altitude (looks like it could have been the CAA legal minimum!) heading towards Reading and all points North East).

Absolutely beautiful sight (and not as noisy as I remember from air displays in my long-distant youth) but what's she doing around here? After all, if she's looking for England/Argentina round 2, the ladies hockey was the other night :-)

bremner 17:25 11 Aug 2012

I believe that the rest of the UK have declared war on the newly formed country of Yorkshire after they refused to allow their sportmen and womens medals to be included in the GB total.

I think Leeds suffered heavy bombing but it is reported that nobody really noticed the difference.

Brumas 17:33 11 Aug 2012

bremner Ya boo sucks!!

onthelimit1 17:52 11 Aug 2012

'presumably XH558'

Presumably? If you know of another in flying condition, I'd love to know about it!

onthelimit1 17:57 11 Aug 2012

Looks as though this is what it was up to

Eastbourne Show

SimpleSimon1 18:02 11 Aug 2012

Presumably? If you know of another in flying condition,

Who knows what some farmer may have in an old barn covered with hay and being used as an avant-garde hen house?

Looks as though this is what it was up to

Good spot...mind you, still time to do a public service and take out Slough

flycatcher1 18:36 11 Aug 2012

XV655, a very nice Vulcan, is based at Wellesbourne Mountford near Stratford-upon-Avon. High speed runs are carried out quite regularly and the Aircraft is kept in tip-top condition by a team of dedicated volunteers. Not quite good enough to get airborne. It is so good that it was used to help train the current (558) Aircrew before it flew after its major re-build.

558 was based in Yorkshire for many years and me with it so would never dare to drop any bombs on its home county. Happy Days.

SimpleSimon1 18:59 11 Aug 2012

558 was based in Yorkshire

"based" or "imprisoned"? :-)

Mr Mistoffelees 20:13 11 Aug 2012

Probably based, so it could be used to keep an eye on errant ecky-thumpers.

WhiteTruckMan 17:01 12 Aug 2012

and not as noisy as I remember from air displays in my long-distant youth

Might I respectfully suggest that one's hearing from long distant days of youth are but a long distant memory? Vulcans are incredible aircraft with many impressive features and abilities but low noise impact was never one of them, and they havent mellowed with age either ;)

WTM

SimpleSimon1 17:16 12 Aug 2012

Might I respectfully suggest that one's hearing from long distant days of youth are but a long distant memory?

Eh...what....sorry, can you repeat that!

OK, fair comment and I'm sure you're right. Mind you, having once been in the next aircraft in a queue, with Concorde in front of us, I gained a real appreciation of what a really noisy aircraft was (although, if I'd been that close to a Vulcan taking off, I guess it wouldn't have been much different!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?