Have the Israel military gone too far

rawprawn 17:44 31 May 2010

click here
I can understand their problems, but aid convoys in international waters seems a step too far.

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:57 31 May 2010

Isn't storming a ship in International Waters piracy or are the Israelis above the law?

G

Quickbeam 18:17 31 May 2010

Israelis have always considered themselves above the law, especially when America doesn't condemn them too harshly...

'The White House said the US "deeply regrets the loss of life and injuries sustained" in the storming of the aid ship.'

That sounds suitably wishy washy for their condemnation of Israel.

octal 18:19 31 May 2010

"Isn't storming a ship in International Waters piracy"

Of course it is, and they should be treated the same as the Somali pirates.
It will be interesting to hear what excuse they put forward, it will have to be a damned good one, as it is there's nearly every other Islamic country longing to take a pop at them, this could be the catalyst for more trouble.

octal 18:21 31 May 2010

Arrogant comes to mind.

onthelimit 18:26 31 May 2010

It seems to depend who you listen to. The Israeli view is that they have had problems with aid convoys carrying weapons to Gaza - they offered the ships a port to land at where the cargo could be checked and then sent onto Gaza - this was denied. When they approached the ships they were attacked. OK, perhaps the force used was excessive, but I can see their point - if I was being rocketed every day I might just feel the same! Middle east politics are tricky.

HWJC 18:33 31 May 2010

Octal: Of course it is, and they should be treated the same as the Somali pirates.

You mean like this? click here

Oh dear... :(

Forum Editor 18:36 31 May 2010

"Live fire was used against our forces. They initiated the violence, that's 100% clear,"

It's also 100% clear that most people would react violently if their ship was boarded by military personnel in the early hours of the morning as they sailed in international waters.

It really is time that the international community made it clear to the Israeli government and people that they can't just write their own set of rules as they go along, and neither can they continually seek to resolve every problem with pre-emptive military action.

As I understand it, international law says that if a state is in conflict it may impose embargoes. If a vessel seeks to break the embargo it may be boarded in international waters, but not in the territorial waters of a third-party nation.

If that's correct, the Israeli action was not illegal. That doesn't make it any the less abhorrent, but it does deal with the 'piracy' allegation.

ronalddonald 18:57 31 May 2010

For a very very long time now Israel has lost its morals and its common sense. And quite often are chopping and changing their laws.

Its to obvious Israel the Jews will never want any peace with any one. I sometimes wonder the stock pile of nuclear weapons the have may be used against any country. Not as a deterrent but to get rid people who stand in their way.

If israel really wanted a new land their should of taken Germany as their land, yes the land that took forefathers.

spuds 18:57 31 May 2010

Israel will always protect its own, whether by land, sea or air. This incident is just another blip in the calender for both the Israel government and its own people.

Mr Mistoffelees 19:13 31 May 2010

I am inclined to think that, with their antagonistic way of dealing with their neighbours, the Isrealis are their own worst enemy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

These beautiful, mesmerising & subtle GIFs celebrate 30 years of the artform

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017