Have Bmibaby invented a new word?

Kev.Ifty 22:30 01 Oct 2008

'Electronical'

On my outward flight recently I was told during the In flight safety thing, to "Switch off all eletronical devices"...

On my return flight I listened a bit more carefully, I could have misheard them the first time round! "Turn off all 'electronical' devices" She definitely said 'Electronical'.

Any 'lexicographical' erm...
Word Smith types among us that can explain electronical?

cheers

MAT ALAN 22:34 01 Oct 2008

click here
and why not...

here thereafter come the 100 suggestions "why not"
LOL...

Kev.Ifty 22:41 01 Oct 2008

I have seen that definition. Does that mean bmibaby are up to the minute and using hip words? Or are they just wrong? lol

MAT ALAN 22:49 01 Oct 2008

Can't really say, could be just a blonde thing.
have to say its a good word tho!

MAT ALAN 22:51 01 Oct 2008

click here

its described as an unword there are some belters in the link...

Forum Editor 22:56 01 Oct 2008

you, and probably everyone else on board knew exactly what she meant. Oddly enough, in view of my known predilection for correct useage, I prefer the sound of 'electronical'. After all, we say that something is comical,or ironical, or magical. The addition of 'al' to a word tends to make it mean 'of, or relating to', and the devices in question definitely relate to electronics.

I vote in favour of electronical.

lotvic 23:03 01 Oct 2008

well I found a (technical) site that explains all about 'Electronical basic circuits' click here

and this one 'Odyssey:Electronical' click here that seems to be a vid of bmx bikers

so it must be a word that has crept in unnoticed until now (at least by me that is)

is it in the dictionary?

Si_L 23:06 01 Oct 2008

Its in the un-dictionary:

click here

lotvic 23:20 01 Oct 2008

Yes, I know, MAT ALAN provided the link(s) same as yours. I wondered if it was in a 'proper' dictionary - a book, with paper pages and words printed thereon.
;-)

MAT ALAN 23:26 01 Oct 2008

a book, with paper pages and words printed thereon.

click here

it is...

GRIDD 23:37 01 Oct 2008

Electronic Devices.

The definition of electronic:

"of or pertaining to electronics or to devices, circuits, or systems developed through electronics."

So the appendix of 'al' is not needed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?