Happy Birthday PC!!

McD 09:26 11 Aug 2006

What a difference 25 years make!
click here

anskyber 10:11 11 Aug 2006

And here a review of it at the time.click here

spuds 12:18 11 Aug 2006

I've still got a couple of old fully working Sinclair's and Amstrad's. Do they count?.

Cymro. 12:40 11 Aug 2006

I wonder how long it takes for such things to become valuable to colectors. I am rather sorry that they were all bined in our house. It would be terrible to see for sale at a high price one day.

pj123 15:01 11 Aug 2006

I had one of those, my first ever "PC", it cost me £400 secondhand.

It was a real badged IBM with two 5.25 floppy disk drives and a mono "green" monitor. Worked in DOS only. Had to keep swapping floppy disks for different programs. The advantage of two drives was that you could leave the O/S disk in drive A all the time.

I started off with an Atari, then went to a Commodore Plus 4, followed by a Commodore 64 and finally a Commodore Amiga. I think I may also have had one of the first colour printers, an OkiMate 20. It had a "use once" plastic type ribbon which made three passes, one for each colour. This was used on the Amiga but I managed to find a company who supplied me with an EPROM for the IBM. All I had to do was switch the Eprom on the printer to use it with whichever computer I wanted a print from. Although I don't have the printer anymore I do still have the Eprom's.

oresome 18:53 11 Aug 2006

Cymro,

Think of it this way, If everyone had saved them , they would be worhless. It's only when 99,99% are thrown away that the 0.01% becomes valuable.

Even then you would have had to have kept it in prestine condition with the original packaging and instuction booklet etc. Not very likely is it?

techie4me 14:09 22 Sep 2007

I came across an old 286 yesterday.
When first bought it cost over £1000!
In the skip it will go.

Earthsea 15:04 22 Sep 2007

If IBM had had the same foresight as Gates and decided to develop its own operating system then Microsoft (in its present form) would never have existed and computing today could well be very different.

laurie53 16:39 22 Sep 2007

That's true. IBM were the world leaders and for a long time were the only player in town.

They just let it slip away.

wiz-king 18:06 22 Sep 2007

Earthsea They did OS2/warp - used it for some years.

Earthsea 19:00 22 Sep 2007

MS-DOS (PC-DOS) was bundled with the IBM PCs and clones. OS/2 was developed by IBM and Microsoft and didn't arrive until 6 years later, as a separate package.

Incidentally, MS-DOS was actually a CP/M clone called 86-DOS which MS purchased from a company called Seattle Computer Products!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?