Halifax bank changing address ???

Uboat 16:20 07 Feb 2011

Ive just been into town with my new "as of today" passport, i went with the wife & wanted to change my address, so i went to the counter where the woman said have i got any Utility bills with my new address on?

i said no but ive got my bank card/s & my new passport also other forms of photo ID, the woman told me they cannot change my address unless i had a letter stating my new address even if it was from the local Library?

She went on to say if i called the bank they could change it over the phone cause they do security checks?

So i am in the bank with my new passport and 5 other forms of ID proving who i am & they wont entertain me.? & yet over the phone with only a couple of words they will do the exact same.?

Maybe it is me but i would of thought if someone goes into the branch with more than sufficient ID like i had they should of changed my address, i mean i wasn't asking to take money out?

uk-wizard 16:37 07 Feb 2011

You should be pleased - a very secure system. *grin*

jakimo 16:41 07 Feb 2011

perhaps wearing a hoody and sun glasses made her suspicious

interzone55 16:44 07 Feb 2011

A lot of times I think these staff who say something can't be done are simply making excuses so they don't have to fill out some forms...

BRYNIT 16:49 07 Feb 2011

You should have asked if they had a phone you could use to phone the bank.

KremmenUK 07:12 08 Feb 2011

I recently opened a Nationwide account in a local branch.

I did not have to supply any ID at all !!!!!

They asked who I was and where I lived and their 'computer' said that I was authorised.

I've never been with them before so I was a bit taken aback.

When the documentation arrived I noted that it was a joint account even though only I attended. They must have access to other banks info as the joint account info was identical to my other one at another banking group?

Forum Editor 09:10 08 Feb 2011

for acting as it did.

Anyone can enter a bank with a false passport and driving licence, but nobody else should be aware of the security check details that you'll be asked for over the phone.

morddwyd 10:39 08 Feb 2011

It is not your account security they are particularly careful about, but not breaching the money laundering regulations, which are very strict.

spuds 11:14 08 Feb 2011

Some of these checks are based on the electoral roll, but I wonder how many people move around and in between the censors. The same for utility bills or other credit checks?.

I had a friend who produced a passport once with a financial deal, and she was told that it was of no use, but her credit card details were. Try telling that to border control, unless you are a corrupt nation with a scam going on?.

morddwyd 19:47 08 Feb 2011

"Actually, they aren't as strict as people think they are. "

How do you know how strict Halifax's rules are?

I didn't say laws, I said rules, and each bank has their own.

I know my own bank's are very strict.

Uboat 22:15 08 Feb 2011

Thanks for all the replies guys! i see their point now!
cheers

UB

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017