Had any computer accidents?

smartpoly 13:10 09 Jun 2009

click here

Figures are up, not un-expected.

Any forum members care to share your woes.

Picklefactory 13:12 09 Jun 2009

... had moved my work pc around to a different angle under my desk to access CD drive, and forgot to push it back.
Caught my knee a treat on the corner of the damned thing when I next sat down.

@#*#@?#*

Hate computers :o(

Chris the Ancient 14:36 09 Jun 2009

My problem is self-inflicted! And even worse, I know I do it.

I have a bad habit of propping my left elbow on the desk and my chin in my left hand. Especially if there is a lot of mouse work rather than keyboard work. The result, a stiff neck and a sore trapezoid muscle.

There again, I don't suppose that's an accident - it's more deliberate; and I should know better. :-((

bjh 17:32 09 Jun 2009

Many years ago, I had a favoured old SOLID HEAVY metal case that I kept reusing for rebuilds. It had a key to lock the case together, and the lock poked out of a finger-sized hole. On one of its many rebuilds, the lock had to be detached from the case, (I forget exactly why - maybe putting a drive in or summat..)...and it dropped into the case/chassis space at the front...

With a careful wiggle of a finger through the hole from the outside, and a screwdriver from the inside, I could lift it up and orientate it back towards the hole.....

... but I couldn't get my finger back out of the hole whatever I did!

It took me about 20 minutes and considerable pain to extricate myself. I was in a busy lab building, but was far too embarrassed to call anyone in from the corridor to come to my aid.

Never admitted that one before either....

Input Overload 18:50 09 Jun 2009

As I seem to be totally paranoid I now back my data including images of all 5 PC's onto 3 external hard drives one which is hidden in case I get robbed. On that 1TB drive all software & data is there.

I once while fiddling with the back of a PC in low light (486 66Mhz) about 12 years ago switched it from 240 volts to 115, there was a flash & a bang & the PS was destroyed. I thought at the time the mainboard & RAM, parts etc which were then horrendously expensive had bit the dust but with a new PS all was well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?