Hacking

flyingbrit 05:20 17 Nov 2005

Here's one for anyone who's kids play on a "Masive Online Adventure Game" on the internet called Runescape. My son started playing the game, oh, it must be 2.5 or 3 years ago now,firstly without subscription but as he became more involved he persuaded me to pay £3.20 a month for him to play(you get to use all the map and aquire different items if you subscribe) Anyway he hasn't been playing it for a couple of months now, so last night I decided to unsubscribe. I got on the site and put his user name and password in, only to be informed that it was incorrect, even though I knew it was. So I had to go through the rigmaroll of answering the security questions, eventually getting the staff at Runescape to believe me and letting me on so I could unsubscribe. It seems as though someone had managed to get into his character somehow and taken all the "valuable" items from his inventory. What's more sinister is they also managed to get into a secure part of the game and changed the password and my e-mail address and were playing as my son useing my subscription money, so beware! If they go to all that bother for a game what will people do when there's real money involved?

PaulB2005 08:00 17 Nov 2005

Breaking into accounts is probably beginners stuff for those who fancy themselves as a "Hacker".

If you want to see what some people get up to with real money in games:

click here

click here

click here

Also there was this story too....

click here

g0slp 08:43 17 Nov 2005

One of my brood had this happen too.

One bright thing to come out of it; a valuable lesson in how the Net has some despicable characters lurking.

Not easy explaining it to a 9 year old though...:-((

spuds 09:27 17 Nov 2005

Possibly going off tangent here, but I understand that there is a RetroCoder product called SpyMon, which is sold to the commercial market. It is a spyware programme, which is very difficult to find, and AdAware,SpyBot type of programmes are unable to trace it. So whatever devices you install, or regard a website as secure, then I think you may find, all is not what it seems.

A company called Sunbelt Software, based in the USA, have managed to produce a product which can find 'hidden' and difficult to find spyware, but companies like RetroCoder are not very happy.In fact RetroCoder have tried to initiate court action against Sunbelt, but this action was thrown out by the American courts.Should mention that RetroCoder is a UK based company.

Haol 09:38 17 Nov 2005

Those hackers are black hat hackers/crackers and are extremely sad to be hacking a game, those people are the people that give hackers bad names. Most hackers will hack a systmem and then tell the owner they have a hole and help them to patch it up.

Haol 10:08 17 Nov 2005

i hadn't noticed it was you, i hope everything is fine now and they should be able to trace the cracker.

flyingbrit 15:50 17 Nov 2005

I thought your name looked familiar, do you still play?, but I only ever watched my lad play.(very addictive though). I am really britsdad. And yea everything is fine now, but it took about 2 hours to sort it out, he's got another 16 days to go before subs finish....he is playing Guild Wars and Enemy Territory now.......Britsdad.

Haol 19:48 17 Nov 2005

I played for a while but then got quite bored it's not really my type of game, but my brother is addicted to it.

wolfie3000 10:35 18 Nov 2005

Hi flying brit and haol.
Hacking into games is nothing new i have had accounts hacked into before it is worrying the best thing to do is to tell the company involved as soon as you discover it.
Most will sort out the problem quickly and ban the person who hacked from there servers.
But they are far and few now adays.

Its a sad part of online gaming best thing to do is to check your account regularly and be vigilant.

flyingbrit 14:54 21 Nov 2005

thanks for all your comments, I'll close this thread now.....britsdad

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?