Hacked on PCA anyone?

Blackhat 23:57 04 Dec 2007

I have only been on PCA site tonight but have had two attempted hacks blocked and the path lists PCA.

Here is a screen shot of my report,

click here

I dont know much about these things as I have never had hack warnings come up on screen before. I was in the helproom reading the thread about 'Anyone noticed AVG opening IE7 page?' on both occasions.

Is this serious?

De Marcus™ 00:15 05 Dec 2007

no, it isn't serious............ at all..

Blackhat 00:16 05 Dec 2007

Not so serious, found details on wiki, probably something to do with PCA adverts.

click here

lotvic 00:16 05 Dec 2007

Not had anything like you describe, maybe because I have Adblocked in Firefox on my PC
pcadvisor.uk.intellitxt.com/ (script)

suggest you do same if you are using Firefox

WhiteTruckMan 00:19 05 Dec 2007

While I await any comment from either FE or someone else at pca with interest, you might find this

click here

of some interest.

WTM

every time i visit the pc advisor site internet explorer blocks a file being downloaded with a warning... i never let it install though.. probably advertising or something related.. kind regards akanic

anskyber 16:54 05 Dec 2007

Well, I think we need to understand better how this site and so many others work.

I have "faced out" the file that wants to be downloaded with the Fujitsu ad. It's just a tracker. I do not mind, particularly, if anyone knows which ad I click on.

This, and many other sites allow such tracking arrangements, but so what?

The fact is we enjoy the benefits of the site and somehow nonetheless expect it to be free and perfect. It is free, it may not be perfect in terms of ad intrusion but look at the benefits and stop squabbling about the occasional blip.

The FE may reply or not, frankly it does not matter a single second if he does or does not, keep the bigger picture in front of you.

Forum Editor 17:19 05 Dec 2007

is remotely interested in hacking anything - what a stupid idea that would be - and I'm always surprised when someone thinks there might be chance that we're up to anything underhand......we're not.

As most sensible people readily understand, it costs some hefty sums of money to keep this site up and running, and we need to attract advertising revenue if we are going to remain a free resource - it's a simple economic fact.

Some people delight in telling everyone how to circumvent our advertisers, and no doubt it gives them some kind of satisfaction to do that, but I've never understood it. If seeing a few ads is the end of the world what a sad life it must be for them. Thankfully the majority understands that the ads are a fact of life, and we think they see the bigger picture that anskyber refers to.

The ads are here to stay, and we don't feel we have to apologise for the fact.

VCR97 19:28 05 Dec 2007

It isn't ads which upset me but the style of ads. The flickering, flashing or scrolling things make me feel ill, so I have ads blocked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?