Guitar legend Les Paul dies

alB 19:11 13 Aug 2009

click here ...alB

JYPX 19:19 13 Aug 2009

I would love to know exactly how the BBC decide which well know figures are worth 20 seconds (Les Paul, Radio 4 pm programme) when they pass away, and which ones justify enless coverage as the main news item?

ulrich 19:45 13 Aug 2009

I am not a musical person but my son got in to guitars and that is the only reason I know of Les Paul. Unfortunately the death of personalities depends on how well they are known as is the never ending saga of Mr M Jackson.

ulrich 19:48 13 Aug 2009

As I wrote my reply there is going to be a tribute to Les Paul on channel 4 news.

laurie53 20:07 13 Aug 2009

Gone but not forgotten.

"How High the Moon" (yes, I know he did much, much more) rivetted me to the spot when I first heard it in the fifties, and still makes me stop and actually listen when I hear it today.

Thank you, Les.

Your life improved mine.

JYPX 20:08 13 Aug 2009

Thanks ulrich - Going to watch it now on C4 +1.
And then I am going to blow the cobwebs off my Gibson Les paul guitar.

jakimo 22:44 13 Aug 2009

He & Mary Ford were quite a sensation in the 50s as there was nothing like his sound in those days,he also did the backing for a lot of the stars in the 60s & 70s, I didnt realise he was that old,so he had a good run

Forum Editor 22:55 13 Aug 2009

will know the name Les Paul, and those who - like me - have a guitar with his name on it know why he became a legend in his own lifetime.

An original 1959 Les Paul electric guitar in excellent condition will have no trouble selling for between half a million and three quarters of a million dollars - these are the world's most sought-after and expensive guitars, used by people like Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, and Jimmy Page. Even a quality modern copy of a vintage Les Paul will easily fetch $4000.

Play one, and you'll know why Les was such an icon in the guitar world.

Curio 22:57 13 Aug 2009

Have been a fan for years. He and Chet Atkins were my two favourite players. From the first time I heard his guitar as a small boy at a fairground to today, I still have his records and still play them. A legend in his own lifetime.

mole44 06:47 14 Aug 2009

Thanks Les you were my hero, your electric guitar music has helped mr through thick and thin in life. Type his name into spotify listen and enjoy the master at work,you`ll not be diapointed

Quickbeam 13:37 14 Aug 2009

And responsible for the sound of the Who.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?