Guiness website

Colin 16:52 29 May 2007

In connection with this thread click here

I looked on the guiness website guiness.com

It asks you to verify your age before entering the site. I put a fictitious date of birth on it that said I was 16 and was denied access. How daft is that? It must be a sign of ridiculous litigation avoidance as anyone with half a brain would make the DOB up. They could try this in courts. "Did you commit the crime?" "No" "Jolly good. Next please!"

Forum Editor 17:01 29 May 2007

may well decide to invent a date of birth, but then that person would be lying to gain access to a website.

Guinness is acting responsibly, those who decide to lie are not. It's that simple.

Colin 17:26 29 May 2007

Guiness aren't acting responsibly. That's another modern catch all phrase. Guiness are just trying to say "look at us, what a caring, sharing company we are". Why would you need to be over 17 to view a website about beer? You need to be over 16 to drive a car, but you can still look at car websites if you aren't.

Teaboy 17:32 29 May 2007

He has a point-Forum Ed!

Forum Editor 17:41 29 May 2007

with being a 'caring, sharing' company? Guinness has a reputation for integrity and quality in the drinks business that goes back many, many years, and it's no surprise to me that they're acting in this way. It's a responsible attitude for an alcohol-producing business to adopt, despite your failure to appreciate it.

This is what they say about their age policy with regard to the website:

"We're committed to responsible drinking, so we need to ensure that you are over the legal purchasing age and are legally allowed to view this site in the country that you are in.
We also need to be aware if there is a possibility that anyone else who could be under the legal purchasing age may use this computer."

If you're not able to understand the ethos that's at work here I'm afraid I can't help - you either get the idea or you don't.

Colin 17:46 29 May 2007

I find you last sentence insulting. "I'm right, you're wrong. Get over it." Guinness are gulity of many organisations, of what I call just performing a tick in the box excercise to appease the people who are ready to jump on them if there is the slightest thing they can find to use against them.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:08 29 May 2007

' to appease the people who are ready to jump on them if there is the slightest thing they can find to use against them'...errrm, isn't that what you are doing?

G

Colin 18:39 29 May 2007

My point exactly. There are rules about alcohol and other things that are illegal, but how can entering a date of birth in a box help? Also, what about the car website comparison? A person too young to drive could look at cars on a manufacturer's website and want to drive one. Heaven forbid!

anskyber 18:44 29 May 2007

Perhaps you could explain why it matters if they do choose to ask for a date of birth, I agree with GANDALF <|:-)>.

Colin 18:50 29 May 2007

It matters because it's a pointless excercise in trying to do something that makes no difference, but looks good.

I probably am doing what Gandalf says I am, but I was referring to people or organisations with a bit more clout than me.

For what it's worth, I entered the website as a 107 year old. Will they use the DOB's for statistics? I hope not. It would have been better to select your country and then state that you are or are not over whatever age you need to be in that particular country. Again, pointless, but there you go.

anskyber 18:55 29 May 2007

I really am so pleased you have such a fulfilling and trouble free life that the subject of this thread was seen to have so much meaning and significance.

You must let us all have the answer to such inner serenity.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?