Grr - I live in the land of id

wiz-king 12:17 16 Jun 2012
Answered

Therefore I am an Idiot!

Just putting back all of the computer equipment after installing a new window frame and thought I would tidy up the wiring. Managed to put it all back on its stand/desk with new cables installed - black for mains/low volts. white for USB and network all run in a couple of cable tidies. Turned on the mains and it all seems to be working, can print to all three printers, HDD in caddie works but no internet. Run network connection programme and it tells me 'internet cable disconnected, look at both computer and router both have the required white cables and power and internet lights are on, wiggle cables and find still no internet. get new cable and thread it through the cable tidy, plug into computer and then when I remove the cable from the router I find a USB type b plug! Wrong cable! I had plugged a spare USB lead into the router instead of a network cable - nearly an hour wasted - and I didn't know that a USB type b plus fitted into a network socket well enough to look OK but not work - I learn somthing new each day.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:25 16 Jun 2012
Answer

ID 10 T fault?

No, eyesight failing with age?

We've all done it at one time or another :0)

spuds 13:57 16 Jun 2012

What do they say?

If at first you don't succeed :O)

I wonder how many people have got the been there, done it, got the T-shirt?.

lotvic 14:28 16 Jun 2012

All is not lost - until you receive the fatal PEBKAC error.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?