'Growing Out Of Pop Music'

Quickbeam 14:18 30 Nov 2010

Was a phrase I heard last night on the radio when someone was referring to the pre-'60s generation. They then went on to say that the over 50s, includes me, are as much buyers of new music as the under 25s.

What have the rest of you bought recently?

This morning I bought recent albums from The Strokes, The Manic Street Preachers and The Coral. And a Staranglers compilation with some new material.

Chris the Ancient 14:31 30 Nov 2010

... and bought (and thoroughly enjoy this...

click here

Belatucadrus 14:34 30 Nov 2010

Don't quite fit the over 50s bracket, but I think I finally outgrew Pop music about ten years ago. I'm not entirely deaf to new ideas but much of what passes for pop now just sounds crap and yes I do know that makes me sound exactly like my dad, ho hum.

Armchair 18:55 30 Nov 2010

I'm 41, and I pretty much lost interest in new popular music about twenty years ago. Just seemed as if most of favourite recording artists turned rubbish about then, or retired/died. I really am stuck in the past when it comes to music.

Most of my CDs contain music recorded between the '30s (mostly jazz from this period) and late '80s, and I think there's enough there to keep me happy (along with some classical music).

I do still occasionally buy CDs, if they're cheap. Like rooting around in charity shops for them. Last one I bought was a Bunny Berigan CD for 50p a few weeks ago, which contains a few of his recordings I didn't already have. Which was nice.

ams4127 19:07 30 Nov 2010

If it's later than Beethoven, I'm not interested.

m800afc 19:18 30 Nov 2010

ams4127
You should be well up to date. Beethoven didn't appear till 1992!

click here

Mark5001 19:20 30 Nov 2010

I'm 46 and was brought up on a diet of 50's & 60's music thanks to my Gran and Mother. I embraced the 80's music with a passion and tend to buy from that period. I have just discovered a trio of german rock n roll singers called the Baseballs. They take modern era music like Umbrella, I don't feel like dancing and put them to a rock n roll beat. The result is awesome.

click here

ams4127 19:44 30 Nov 2010

Much obliged!!

Must choose composer rather more carefully in future.

Rachmaninoff?!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?