Growing food for electricity - what goes on!

onthelimit1 10:11 03 Jul 2014

A lot of farmers round me have moved from wheat, potatoes, sheep, cattle etc to growing hundreds of acres of maize. This is harvested once a year and taken to a 'digestor' where it produces electricity for the grid.

Seems odd to me to be using valuable agrigultural land for this purpose. Yes, I know we have to find green and sustainable means for electricity production, but should not food take precedence?

What are your views?

carver 10:24 03 Jul 2014

There are plenty of people who are of the same opinion as yourself about this.

Seems totally insane to use land that could be used to grow food but then use that land to grow something and then turn it into fuel to make electricity but it all boils down to money.

It's green policy gone mad, but greed takes precedent.

spuds 10:24 03 Jul 2014

Nothing new there. Its being going on in America for quite some time, since Obama made a few speeches, and some farmers changed their farming methods.

Woolwell 12:47 03 Jul 2014

Farmers will produce that which is most profitable. There is little or nil sentiment. However maize can be grown on poor land. Until we are prepared to pay more for home grown food then this situation will continue.

Quiller. 13:22 03 Jul 2014

The EU in conjunction with the CAP have paid farmers for years for set aside. This is a subsidy for leaving 10% of the land with no crop for that financial year. Mainly because of food mountains and to keep the price of food high for developing EU countries. Even though set aside still exists, farmers are paid a premium to grow bio crops sith a guaranteed minimum market and price.

so the same levels of food production are maintained and farmers get s premium for using what was redundant land for that year.

it had to be said that land used for set aside must be rotated every year.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?