Green taxes = Lost jobs

al's left peg 15:07 17 Nov 2011

I heard from a good friend of mine that he is to be made redundant due to the impending closure of the Rio-Tinto Alcan, Aluminium smelter in the new year. This is the second time he has been made redundant from a manufacturing role in the North Eat within 8 years. What is more galling though is that this job loss is down to EU green taxes being imposed on the plant, thus making the operational viability of the plant untenable.

As usual, the MP's are all saying how sad it is that this plant is closing and that everything will be done to help the employees concerned, but overall it's a bit sickening that the plant has a near full order book and is making at the present time good profits and it is being finished by MP's signing up to agreements that only the UK will meet.

Aitchbee 16:39 17 Nov 2011

This expands on al's left peg's post http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20111116-710109.html

Aitchbee 16:46 17 Nov 2011
  spuds 18:31 17 Nov 2011

There are a number of companies in the UK that have suffered from the same 'green tax' fate. The North East isn't alone on this one.

I have a friend who runs a large food processing plant,which was part of a wider group here in the UK. Due to increased costs, some through the green tax regulations, a number of the group's other factories in the UK have been closed down, and the units have been transferred to other EU countries. The remaining units, including that my friend runs are in a stage of discussions for a possible take-over by a foreign consortium.

If Rio Tinto does close, then the company might have 'green tax' credits due, which it could sell on to other interested parties, which well might make someone very rich?.

Aitchbee 21:57 17 Nov 2011

Nuclear Power Stations are not 'green' so the energy produced by these establishments, and hence the owners, will cleverly, evade the 'GREEN tax'

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?