Granulated Sugar

Quickbeam 08:37 17 Oct 2011

I noticed this morning that the sugar I bought last week from Morrisons was ordinary granulated, as opposed to the extra fine granulated which has been the norm since the early '70s when it first appeared. Not much of a problem if you stir it into your tea I hear you say with breathtaking astonishment, but I only use sugar on cornflakes and ordinary granulated is far too crunchy for that, it feels like I'm eating cornflakes cubed sugar on!

Is this a case of a supermarket trying to save a few pennies on something that they think will go unnoticed?

sunnystaines 08:50 17 Oct 2011

time to move from cornflakes to frosties

BT 08:59 17 Oct 2011

Being a Diabetic I eat cornflakes without added sugar. You soon get used to it.

I don't know who produces Morrisons own brand sugar, probably British Sugar, but the size of the grains will vary depending on many factors, including speed of crytallisation. Is your normal purchase labelled 'Extra Fine', and do they sell two grades? Perhaps you picked up the wrong bag by mistake. You know what happens, someone picks up a bag and puts it back on the wrong stack, and you pick it up, result 'Crunchy Cornflakes'. Personally, although I know I shouldn't, I just love crunchy sugar on Weetabix.

BT 09:01 17 Oct 2011

sunnystaines

time to move from cornflakes to frosties

..or Tesco's Honey Nut Cornflakes ;-))

interzone55 09:26 17 Oct 2011

Midgetninja

I suggest you take a look at how granulated sugar is made and you'll wonder how they do it for the price.

As for sugar on Cornflakes, try Lidl's own brand "crunchy nut cornflakes" they call the Flakers Honey Nut or something, they really are superb value.

by the way - is this thread this year's tinned red fruit thread?

Quickbeam 09:51 17 Oct 2011

It's actually Shredded Wheat that I take, and like to have sugar sprinkled over them and watch the milk creep up the dry sugar 'til it's all wetted before I start to eat them, extra fine absorbs much quicker (that's just one of those ritual quirks I've done ever since I can remember).

Morrisons are selling ordinary granulated only now, Tate & Lyle or British Sugar which is by the pallet pushed into the under shelf floor space. As far as I know, there is no own brand sugar in any of the big few. They do sell caster which is a desert sugar, the Coop sells extra fine and 1KG lasts me nearly a year with my usage.

The grain size doesn't vary by accident as sugar manufacture is a very precise science. The extra fine was developed in the late '50s/early '60s for the baking industry as the then new high sugar cake formulas required the sugar to be dissolved in the liquid content, finer grains dissolve much quicker. It was also found to be beneficial in traditional sugar batter methods in giving lighter and more even aeration. It was then sold to the general public as it is nicer on breakfast cereals and quickly ousted coarse grain sugar into obscurity in the early '70s.

This is the first packet of ordinary course granulated I've seen in nearly 40 years, so I believe it is a cost motivated move.

Quickbeam 10:05 17 Oct 2011

fm

The sugar I bought is described as 'granulated', what I've used for past past several decades has been described as 'extra fine granulated'. Someone has decided to sell a different product, either deliberately, or through ignorance.

If the buyer doesn't have sugar on cereals then they wouldn't know that a change of grain size would be noticed, but I can't believe that when you change the spec of the sugar with the size of a supermarket order, that the sugar maker wouldn't advise them otherwise.

sunnystaines 10:09 17 Oct 2011

one for sugar experts

why is natural sugar in supermarkets brown, but sugar in the sugar cane clear like granulated sugar? wondered how it got brown do they heat it up?

Quickbeam 10:15 17 Oct 2011

All you need to know about sugar manufacture

LanceAlot 10:51 17 Oct 2011

They used to say there's more nourishment in the box than the cornflakes, but I think that's changed now.

When I was a kid I stayed at a mate's house and they had hot milk on their cornflakes for breakfast. Now that did taste like soggy cardboard.

wiz-king 11:02 17 Oct 2011

Tate & Lyle sugar is mainly extracted from sugar cane, British Sugar is from sugar beet, both are 'natural'! Both tend to be brown in the raw state and are de-colourised by boiling with lime and allowing the solids to settle out and then filtering the resultant liquor before boiling and crystallising.

Brown sugars are not de-colourised, just boiled and crystallised.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?