Grandma new that!

Quickbeam 10:48 23 Nov 2009

click here
So they think they've just found that out.

What was the old saying, 'a little bit of dirt...'?

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 11:02 23 Nov 2009

Most doctors agree 5-7 bowls of dirt a day is healthy for you.

peter99co 11:53 23 Nov 2009

click here

Don't forget to wash your hands.

jack 12:32 23 Nov 2009

I suspect many of these 'Reports' are bogus in so far they are cobbled together PR to promote products of one sort or another.

As far a bodies are cconcerned they have to get the dirt/bug/bacterium- in order to build the immunity- that is what Jenner found out with
Cow Pox/Smallpox -immunization- - others include Polio, Influenza- an attenuated version of the pathogen gets the immune system busy.

spuds 12:37 23 Nov 2009

I remember a number of years ago, when I attended a seminar about public life. The various speakers were talking about a child's and adult's daily tolerance to muck, grime, germs etc, and how our immune system usually copes. The same applied to the 'greasy-spoon' cafes.

Nowadays its chemicals, protective clothing for this and that, and we still end up with disasters and sick notes.

Bit like meat I suppose. Some say 'matured' others say 'rotten'. Eat your heart out TV chefs ;o)

morddwyd 21:38 23 Nov 2009

I can remember visiting my wife and son in the maternity ward when he was two days old. As he was a bit noisy I stuck my little finger in his mouth.

Since I had come, by motor cycle, straight from work I suppose my finger could have been a bit grubby, but whether the nurse was justified in boxing my ears (nurses did that sort of thing in those days, particularly sisters) was a different matter.

I can remember my wife, some years later, finding that same little boy, in the garden, with bulging cheeks.

They were bulging because he had three garden snails in each side, which my wife had to fish out while praying that he did not crunch!

I can remember doing the big ends on an old Austine A70 we had, The sump, which held about two gallons, was sitting to one side half full of petrol ready for cleaning out the sludge.

The happy sounds finally got through to me and there was that little boy, clad in only a nappy, sat in a sump full of a petroil mixture, having a fine old time.

He's still alive, now 45, no particular health problems, like most of the others of his generation (and mine!).

Forum Editor 23:41 23 Nov 2009

In a similar vein, I came home from work one summer's day to find my three-year-old son sitting quietly in the garden with his mother. She was reading a book, whilst he was munching on a dried up frog he had discovered. He screamed blue murder when I deprived him of his protein snack, but he survived into adulthood.

My mother once discovered my youngest brother eating caterpillars he had harvested from my father's cabbage crop. He's a professional photographer now, and as healthy as the next person.

We're pretty robust organisms, given the chance.

DANZIG 09:26 24 Nov 2009

I went on a Food Safety course a while back as part of my job.

The lass taking the course said since 1997, cases of food poisoning have more than doubled (I think that was the time frame and amount, but you get the idea). She asked if anyone knew why.

Various reasons were given, all of which were partly right. But the main reason was was that, the more we obsessively clean, the stronger the bugs get and the MORE we have to clean - its an ever decreasing circle!

When swine flu was big in the news, our company decided in their infinite wisdom to install in all of our clubs, little dispensers that shoot out a horrific smelling alcohol based hand wash.

Surely this will make us all much more non resistant to the bugs that are out to doom us all.

Chris the Ancient 11:15 24 Nov 2009

... if a lot of modern 'ailments' are a result of over-cleaning and excessive hygiene.

'Back when I were a lad' there were none of these super-cleaners and rigorous health and hygiene procedures and we all had our fair intake of muck, germs, rubbish etc. I'm sure that went a long way to helping us build up an immunity to a lot of things.

Now, in this modern day and age, so many 'younger' people and children are so molly-coddled that they seem to become prone to so many modern day complaints. Complaints that were less prevalent in the past.

OK, we have lost a lot of some of the olden day problems such as rickets, polio, whooping cough and all the 'standard' illnesses of those days. But, these days, there seems to be so many weaknesses that we seemed to 'just get on with' in the past. As shorn in some of the above contributions.

I just remember an rather dour Scot I used to know who often used the old homily, "It tak's a ton of muck to kill a pig."

So, I pose the question...

"Do we overdo cleanliness and hygiene, thus reducing out built in immunities?"

CtA

ol blueeyes 21:53 26 Nov 2009

Ah1 you've all missed the point we pay these people thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands of pounds to do these reports which most of the population either don't read don't believe or just think they are a load of rubbish.
No I agree bring back the ""Good old days"" we didn't have time to bother with all of this during the war.

Joseph Kerr 11:56 27 Nov 2009

Um...So we've established our bodies will recover if we (italics here) dont eat snails and frogs?

I strongly suspect my grandparents knew that aswell...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?