Grand National

Al94 16:37 14 Apr 2012
Answered

More deaths and winner looked like excessive use of the whip to me in the final furlongs.

Blackhat 16:46 14 Apr 2012

Agree, just a few moments after the win I saw a blood stain on the winning horse, I thought that there was a ruling earlier this year about the use of the whip?

Blackhat 16:59 14 Apr 2012

Found a few news items from a while ago.

horse racing

horse racing

Al94 17:05 14 Apr 2012

Just watched the rerun - disgusting, jockey drew blood and severe use of the whip, I reckon many more strokes than permitted - haven't heard it mentioned on BBC so far though

Aitchbee 17:24 14 Apr 2012

I had a good chuckle (BBC1 coverage of the race) at the two men at the starting line trying to put the elasticated starting line (The tapes), on to a little spindle for 'The Starter to operate...their antics held the race up for about 1 minute...just enough for a few thousand more punters to get their bets on.

Blackhat 17:28 14 Apr 2012
Answer

Why does this go on, two more horse deaths, don't give me the money money money side of things, animal welfare is more important.

More fatalities at grand national

If & when a jockey gets killed will they re-think the race?

rickf 17:35 14 Apr 2012

I saw the blood trickling down the winning horse's right hidleg too. It's a cruel race.

WhiteTruckMan 17:48 14 Apr 2012

Was it today?

These things pass me bye.

WTM

Aitchbee 18:13 14 Apr 2012

WTM - you must have been on 'The Melling Road' at the time.

Aitchbee 19:46 14 Apr 2012

If you want my honest opinion on the horse racing business ...it (The Racing Board, The Jockey Club, The televising of Racing, Bookmakers, everybody ... involved in the continuation of this 'elite' vile sport, should be forthwith sent to horse's stables to whisper in their ears'..."four hooves good, two feet bad". (Orwell)

john bunyan 19:57 14 Apr 2012

What about the punters, who, by betting on the horses, encourage the whole lot? No punters, no horse racing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017