Government spends £17,500 on wine

john 52 19:52 19 Jun 2010

No this is not the out going Labour Government !!
but our new coalition government in the week that the budget will be asking everyone to make sacrifices to keep our economy on track .
Mind you the wine cellar is only worth £864,000.
I am glad to see they have got there priorities right

click here

rdave13 20:39 19 Jun 2010

Yup. Buy cheap and then only use when said wine expensive. That's a sacrifice and common sense.
Used for important occations so I don't see a problem.

interzone55 21:08 19 Jun 2010

Frankly £17,500 is a drop in the ocean. They buy wine 3 times a year, so let's assume that's a total of £52,500 a year.

Based on a total budget of £660bn that is 0.0000079545% I bet you spend considerably more than that proportion of your income on wine...

interzone55 21:10 19 Jun 2010

Also, last time P Diddy (Puff Daddy, or Sean Combes to his mum) was in London he spent more than that on a round of drinks.
click here

Strawballs 21:23 19 Jun 2010

Your wasting your time saying anything against present government now if it were the same story about outgoing government then it would have been seen as wrong

john 52 21:23 19 Jun 2010

Your points are correctly made !!

But is £864,000 of wine really necessary !!I am fully aware that wine can be a good investment but why choose to do this in the week of the budget !!
If another party had done this they would be getting slaughtered for it ??
As you have pointed out that they spend £52,500 a year on wine if they did not purchase any for 4 years they would still have a stock to the value of
£654,00

Strange ???

john 52 21:59 19 Jun 2010

Maybe they know VAT is going up ??? .

"Every three months or so, a small group of former civil servants dip into the cellar to see if the burgundies are ready for ministers to entertain their foreign guests at sumptuous banquets at Lancaster House.

I wonder if Sir Humphrey Appleby is one of them :-}

rdave13 22:02 19 Jun 2010

No "perhaps" about it.
Hospitality costs money and I believe the Government are being frugal with this wine issue.
Possibly the next head of state should be welcomed with a bit of Tetly's brew and Cadbury's (?) chocolate fingers.
Possibly not as Cadbury is now in American ownership.... memory slip again...

john 52 07:34 20 Jun 2010

I did not know the forum had so many supporters of the previous government as it is the previous government who had maintained the wine cellar at the current levels for the last 13 years !!

"Every three months or so, a small group of former civil servants dip into the cellar to see if the burgundies are ready for ministers to entertain their foreign guests at sumptuous banquets at Lancaster House.

I find this hilarious !!something like out a sketch from Yes Minister that a group of senior retired civil servants sit round a table trying out the wine from the Governments close on one Million pound wine cellar and deciding if it is a good wine and ready to drink !! are there not more qualified people in the country to do this

morddwyd 07:59 20 Jun 2010

I can understand storing wine, bought young and laid down, but why spirits and liqueurs?

Surely these can be bought as required?

bri-an 08:19 20 Jun 2010

"Possibly the next head of state should be welcomed with a bit of Tetly's brew and Cadbury's (?) chocolate fingers."

I appreciate the 'tongue-in-cheek' remark above, but then I began to think "is it really necessary to continue the 'tradition' of providing the 'best of everything' to visiting politicians?". Why?

It's just a game played by government employees to inflate their own importance, at OUR expense. The old argument about 'it's only a minute part of the overall government spending' is ludicrous.
If, as Dave says, we are all in it together then ALL unnecessary spending should stop, or else provide wine to visitors to all government departments, including the Jobcentres!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?