Got your wireless network up and running yet?

Forum Editor 14:07 31 Jan 2006

Perhaps you have, and perhaps you haven't. Perhaps you don't intend to go near wireless networking with a ten-foot pole. Speaking of polls - have you voted in our current one?

Whatever your view on the subject, why not air it here? As usual, please tell me now if you do NOT want your real name to be quoted in a future magazine article on the subject.

ade.h 14:15 31 Jan 2006

Yep. Had it for two months; wish I'd done it a year ago. Took all of five minutes. Piece of cake!

(Luckily....)

Haol 17:00 31 Jan 2006

It was easy to do. It only takes 5 minutes to do and your life will be alot easier. Security, you must be security conscious as there are always people driving around in their cars with their laptop looking for a network to compromise. Apart from the security matter it's great and I suggest it to all.

pj123 17:57 31 Jan 2006

In a word, No.

pj123 18:00 31 Jan 2006

Speaking of the current poll. No options on there that are relevant.

ade.h 18:11 31 Jan 2006

No options pj? What about the last one?

csqwared 18:17 31 Jan 2006

I have been considering this option for some time. I have two win98SE machines, one I intend to convert to XP but in view of this click here and other posts in the Networking forum I'm not too sure I'm up to the installation.

cc

Forum Editor 18:49 31 Jan 2006

Especially for you (and for the first time in history) I've just added an extra option to a running poll.

Does that help you?

rmcqua 18:51 31 Jan 2006

I have had really varied experiences. When I first got broadband at this address I bought an ADSL modem and a wireless router and had no end of problems setting them up. Eventually changed the two devices for a wireless gateway and since then it has been simple. Two desktops in the house that work flawlessly on wireless all the time. Two laptops that come and go depending on when I have my work machine with me and when my daughter is at home from Uni. Both also trouble free.
Conversely, I have recently tried to set up a wireless network for a work colleague who is on BT broadband, and using a less well known wireless gateway, and it has been a nightmare. After many hours of attention from me and the PC shop where my colleague bought the hardware, it still only works intermittently and will rarely stay on for more than 10 minutes. A re-start refreshes it for anothern 10 minutes. We are still working on the cause!

anskyber 19:05 31 Jan 2006

For my own sanity iy must be better

I have just moved house. My new home although modest in size has stereo hi-fi in two rooms and I have a stereo in the lounge that has full surround as an option. All 3 systems required an aerial for the tuners. After several days of trunking and clambering around in the loft to wire for the surround system it is finally done. So. The next task is to set up a wireless (praise be) connection for laptop and main PC. For me it must and I mean must be worth the benefits that wireless freedom will give. Now I must go and vote!

spikeychris 19:31 31 Jan 2006

"Speaking of polls - have you voted in our current one?" Groan...

When wifi first kicked in it could be a bit awkward. Now with the installation buddies that ship with most routers I can't honestly see the problem - it installs itself!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?