Got any Budget Day 2009 predictions?

TopCat® 18:08 17 Apr 2009

What are your predictions for this coming day next week, and do you agree with me that this will be one of the bleakest Budget statements in decades?

With gloomy fiscal pointers coming in from all sides, I rather think this will be the first of several austere Budgets aimed at bringing medium and long term fiscal sustainability to the country.

As for the general consumer, I believe the 'old usuals' such as alcohol and tobacco will be hit hard. I also suspect there will be phased in sliding scale tax rises for most employees, dependent on earnings, together with a rise above 17.5% VAT from next year.

I predict too that the chancellor will announce a severe cut-back in public spending, but with rising unemployment, a soaring budget deficit and record national debt this will, I think, be very hard to achieve.

Election day 2010 is not that far away, so there has to be a couple of 'sweeteners' hidden somewhere in the chancellor's speech. TC.

Bingalau 18:10 17 Apr 2009

It's going to be costly.. It always is...

Quickbeam 18:13 17 Apr 2009

Booze up, fags up, taxes up = cock up as we ain't got any money to put up.

birdface 18:15 17 Apr 2009

No doubt about it fuel will go up again. You never know he may be good to us but only if he is going to hold a snap general election straight afterwards.

Forum Editor 18:33 17 Apr 2009

that most people will not be even slightly interested, unless duty on alcohol,tobacco and petrol is increased. The there'll be the usual outcry about the ordinary working person being the one who always has to pay, and calls for Gordon Brown to make way for someone else.

The papers will carry pages of comparisons showing how three different families will be affected, and the stock market will either close up or down on the day.

Then we'll all get on with the job of earning a crust.

Pine Man 18:35 17 Apr 2009

...another nail in the Labour coffin!

mrwoowoo 18:37 17 Apr 2009

Nicely summed up.

Woolwell 18:53 17 Apr 2009

I don't think that there is any money left for any sweeteners.
Prediction - most people will be worse off.

newman35 19:05 17 Apr 2009

Then we'll do a bit of quantitative easing!
Nae bother!

john bunyan 19:25 17 Apr 2009

I read it was highly likely that tax relief on pension contributions will be limited to 20% so that higher rate (40%) income tax payers will have less going into their pension pot. It seems that private pensions started as a target for this government, and remain so, but they go on giving "final salary" pensions to themselves and many civil servants (not that one begrudges them that, if they pay a reasonably proportionate amount in)

Zaphod 3 19:40 17 Apr 2009

All those of us outside the House of Commons it's gonna hurt, because we ain't got the expenses to help us out.

Will the last to leave the country please turn out the light!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone