Gordon Brown - fuel measures won't help me

pj123 12:37 11 Sep 2008

My partner and I are both 72.

We live in a semi detached 3 bedroom house.

We already have: Loft Insulation, Cavity Wall Insulation, Double Glazing and Central Heating.

So our high energy costs will remain the same.

click here

Grey Goo 13:44 11 Sep 2008

You probably would pay more without all the insulation. It is going to take a zillion years to convert all the properties and I am guessing very few will have been completed for this Winter, so be glad that your house is done and you will not have the hassle.

lofty29 14:00 11 Sep 2008

Of course GB is going to trumpet how wonderful this scheme is he is a desperate man, in actual fact there is very little new in it. Those on benifits have had this for several years, and most of those who now qualify have probably already have cavity wall and loft insulation, the discount on other measures would likly to be eaten up by higher prices charged by the suppliers, because you can bet your life only "approved" contracters will be able to carry out the work and they will bump their prices. Also as Grey Goo states by the time it is up and running and all the paperwork has been gone through the winter will be over.

newman35 15:13 11 Sep 2008

It says "... if temperatures drop below zero for seven consecutive days ", extra is paid to some groups.
I seem to remember some 'problems' with this type of temp definition, and the excuses used for the payments not 'kicking-in'.
Not impressed, even though, long-term, insulation has to be the answer.

Cymro. 15:35 11 Sep 2008

You say
"It is going to take a zillion years to convert all the properties and I am guessing very few will have been completed for this Winter"
Now read the following from the BBC website
"The government says its aim is to insulate every home in Britain by 2020"

In fact a great deal of homes have already been done as such schemas have been operating for some time.

Cymro. 15:46 11 Sep 2008

You say
"the discount on other measures would likly to be eaten up by higher prices charged by the suppliers, because you can bet your life only "approved" contracters will be able to carry out the work and they will bump their prices. Also as Grey Goo states by the time it is up and running and all the paperwork

Our house was done under a similar scheme that has been running here in Wales for some time. You mention "approved contractors" well I for one would never let an un-approved contractor to do any such work in my house.

As for "all the paperwork" that you mention when we had ours done there was no paperwork for us to fill, just sign on the dotted line and all the work was done very quickly with the minimum of fuzz or delay.

I know that we in Wales have now got our own Assembly and so do things without London's approval but I never thought it worked that much better than in England.

Cymro. 15:52 11 Sep 2008

You say
"We already have: Loft Insulation, Cavity Wall Insulation, Double Glazing and Central Heating. So our high energy costs will remain the same".

Yes indeed your energy will be the same price but you will use a lot less due to all the work you have had done to your house.

Pamy 16:16 11 Sep 2008

What about many pensioners who live in older houses that do not have cavity walls

Cymro. 16:21 11 Sep 2008

Well if thy don`t have cavity walls then they can`t have cavity wall insulation, can they!
anyway their houses may well be warmer than those with cavity walls, insulated or not.

Pamy 16:31 11 Sep 2008

The point I was showing is that the people who nead help will not get any.

brindly 16:55 11 Sep 2008

It won't help me either and yes this scheme has been around for a long time. Being close to 70 I applied for help with loft insulation and when I was told the amount of the grant against their cost it was more than the insulation cost, so I did it myself with my sons help. Just another scheme that will help the one's who already get plenty of help and don't want to help themselves. I wouldn't mind betting there is already someone out there scamming this scheme, we will read about it in the near future and the government minister will be suprised and some feckless individual will have made lots of money from the TAX PAYER and will be given a smacked wrist.Cymro. Please don't assume we all had work done to our homes by the state for free, we have paid our way in life only ever claimed two weeks sick pay back in the 80s. Pretty soon you will find the "providers" of the wealth will be outnumbered by the "takers" then what will you do?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie