Google's gone to the Dark Side

lisa02 00:18 29 Mar 2008

I initially thought IE7 was playing up, but it's for Earth Hour.

Lights off between 8 and 9pm tonight (Sat)

peg 00:32 29 Mar 2008

Its a good idea. I have recently got in to the habit of turning all unused lights off now its just a case of trying to educate my son to follow suite.Google sure looks strange all dark.

robgf 00:43 29 Mar 2008

I refreshed Opera twice and turned off the Proxomitron, before realising it was deliberate.

spuds 00:45 29 Mar 2008

Perhaps an eclipse over Google Land.

Or a sign of mourning because Microsoft want to take them over!.

Kev.Ifty 00:52 29 Mar 2008

me to. Thought I had a problem with IE....

;-)

belfman 08:22 29 Mar 2008

I shall be participating too.

At work the policy is to walkround and switch off everything that's on inc. lights when you leave a room. I have adopted this at home and it's force of habit before leaving the house that 'I have to do it'.

Forum Editor 08:40 29 Mar 2008

can help in one way or another:-

click here

spuds 09:22 29 Mar 2008

Reading from the links Home page, it states " Believe it or not, the average desktop PC wastes nearly half the power delivered to it. Half!".

Now thats scary reading, but I wonder how many people realise that fact. Going from home users to the commercial market, the wastage must be colossal, and I wonder if enough is being done about it, worlwide!.

Arthur Scrimshaw 10:09 29 Mar 2008

how much electricity is consumed by distributed computing schemes (SETI etc) and if many participants leave the machines running 24/7 to move up the league tables?

interzone55 11:15 29 Mar 2008

Has Google actually admitted that Blackle may be correct in their assumption that a black screen uses less electricity than a white screen?

click here

wiz-king 13:06 29 Mar 2008

Bah Humbug-- as a lcd sreen is a transmissive device (I think) the backlight is allways on so where is the saving? or am I wrong again?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017