Google wins typosquatting ruling

spikeychris 12:56 11 Jul 2005

Fair enough if the site was being used to peddle Trojans but Quote: It ruled the web addresses were confusingly similar to Google's and that Gridasov had no legitimate rights to them. That seems a strange thing to say. Surely anyone can buy any domain available??

click here for the full story.

octal 13:17 11 Jul 2005

I remember reading a year or two ago about Microsoft in dispute with an individual Mike Rowe and his domain MikeRowSoft.com unfortunatly the big guns hoodwinked him. click here

Forum Editor 14:42 11 Jul 2005

was using the names in bad faith, "presumably profiting from them". He also set up redirects, so the domain names sent visitors to other sites which tried to download trojans. He then refused to answer emails, faxes, or letters from the arbitrators. Frankly he deserved to lose the names - he registered them deliberately to create confusion and perhaps to make money from Google.

Arbitrators will rule in favour of a registrant who has been first in the field, and has established a prominent web presence. They do this to avoid confusion and wasted time, and they do it to prevent speculative and/or veaxatious registrations of this kind - a good thing too.

VoG II 14:45 11 Jul 2005

Naughty Russian click here

spikeychris 16:49 11 Jul 2005

As I said - fair enough, shut him down if he is deliberately aiming at causing trouble but I still cant get my head around a few things. First - the accusation of him not replying to emails and faxes...so what! thats his choice. Presumably the emails contained words to the effect of "if you don't reply we will do it anyway"

It doesn't sit well with me at all. "The NAF arbitrator, Paul Dorf, found that Gridasov did not have legitimate rights to the Web addresses, and the Web addresses were confusingly similar to Google's trademark rights to its own name."

Confusing similar! This is world wide web sitting on the Internet, not the Womens institute. Why is gugol.com not under these rules? Did Google have to purchase the names from Sergey Gridasov or did they just automatically claim them?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?