Google trying to kill Windows?

octal 20:07 06 Sep 2008

I wonder?

click here

anskyber 20:25 06 Sep 2008

I thought it would be interesting to try Google Chrome. It was and is.

I use Chrome on and off during the day and it is interesting. Fast, yes, stable, so far. Slow on add laden sites like PCA but it is a Beta. Some very interesting features, particularly the way tabs are used and the summary favourites home page/new tab feature.

The key though is the importance of the browser to cloud computing, more theoretical than actual now but at the speed things are going it could be more actual than theoretical very soon.

For a bit of fun I signed onto Google Calendar and imported my MS Office calendar. I chose Google calendar + BBC + PCA as my start tabs and low and behold all three fire up as my browser opening. I think we will see, very soon a real challenge to MS and that is excellent for us as consumers.

In terms of a replacement operating system, it could be a while away yet but we live in interesting times. Do not think this will be a free ride, it is now, mostly but if cloud is to succeed it will need more than advertising to support it. We will pay for the use/storage perhaps monthly and ultimately if the main servers go down, so will you.

octal 20:50 06 Sep 2008

I agree, there has to be an income from somewhere and my guess it will be though adversing. I personally don't think it will be a problem if it is kept discrete. At the moment I'm trying to get my head around how it is going to be an actual replacement for an operating system, it will probably be sometime before we see something like that, but the way things move in the computer world, never say never, interesting times indeed.

JYPX 22:43 06 Sep 2008

Hmmm......Perhaps we are heading towards a stripped down, small footprint OS running Web applications.
I guess that people would want that for free, which may help to explain why Microsoft are attempting to take some of us in exactly the opposite direction.

robgf 01:46 07 Sep 2008

I doubt that Microsoft are very worried. Chrome is a nice, but very basic browser, it can in no way replace Windows, in fact it needs an operating system to run.

I like my browsers basic and turn off most of the toys, but Google will need to seriously upgrade Chrome, before I would consider replacing Opera.

Chrome has a few nice features, but couldn't import the bookmarks from Opera (a very basic requirement), wasn't particularly easy to set up to work with a proxy and is by no means crash proof (three times now), despite some claims.

laurie53 09:24 07 Sep 2008

The one thing that stops me moving over to Chrome is that I can't see it properly.

I have a slight vision problem and need to set my own colours.

Chrome has no such facility.

Forum Editor 09:42 07 Sep 2008

Not yet, but remember this is a beta release. I have no doubt that there will be lots of added facilities, once Google has feedback from the userbase.

Considering Chrome is Google's debut into the browser market I think they've made a pretty good job of it.

octal 10:39 07 Sep 2008

Getting back to the article Google are saying "Chrome is a key part of Google's strategy to make the operating system obsolete." and "Expect to see millions of Web devices, even desktop Web devices, in the coming years that completely strip out the Windows layer and use the browser as the only operating system the user needs," call me paranoid, but the way I'm reading this is that all the computers connected will effectively become dumb terminals controlled by Google, I'm not sure I want to go down that route, if I'm reading it right of course. I think Microsoft should be concerned with this, they are probably keeping a watchful eye on these developments and it wouldn't surprise me if they don't counter it with a system of their own.

Google have already started supplying on line Word processor, Spreadsheet and Presentation package amongst other things, it won't take much to integrate them into their browser.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:26 07 Sep 2008

That is exactly the way Google want to go and for 99% of the planet it will be more than enough. Most people use their computers for t'internet, a bit of word processing and some mucking about in Publisher. That is all. Just having a browser that has access to all these would be ideal for these people.

G

octal 11:36 07 Sep 2008

True, it's probably me, I just don't feel comfortable having all my personal information held remotely on some server somewhere, but I'm old fashioned like that.

Forum Editor 11:54 07 Sep 2008

You may not feel comfortable about having your personal information held remotely somewhere, and you are undoubtedly in good company, but I'm afraid that it's too late - your personal information is already held remotely on several servers, and some of them may be a lot less secure than the ones that Google will be running.

Like it or not, we will all have to accept the fact that we're no longer living in a world where we can totally control who knows about us. What we can do is limit the extent to which we provide free information without being fully aware of what will happen to it. That's why people like me, who advise others on data security, constantly bang on about the dangers of social networking sites, and about making sure you stay away from the outer edges of the known digital universe. Out there on the interent it's easy to expose yourself to predators, so it's a case of 'doors to automatic and cross-check'.If something untoward happens you need to know that you'll have an escape route, and that means having a good anti-spyware/malware and anti virus policy. Finally, don't tell anybody anything unless they can demonstrate a need to know.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?