Google and help forums

anskyber 12:03 08 Feb 2009

With my tongue firmly in my cheek can I raise the old chestnut of saying many folk could answer their own questions by using Google or similar.

If you have friends who take a joke try Let me Google that for you (courtesy of Click) an example click here

rdave13 12:05 08 Feb 2009

Now that's a good one!

Si_L 12:53 08 Feb 2009

Brilliant. Bookmarked for future use.

birdface 13:22 08 Feb 2009

Nice one.I should use it myself occasionally.

MAT ALAN 13:37 08 Feb 2009

0.11 seconds, far too long for some...

I agree a little self help will go a long way and i'll stick my neck out a bit further than anskyber
and say there are some lazy buggers out there that find it all to simple to ask the question and by the time they have received an answer it could be sourced and resolved by themselves...

canarieslover 13:40 08 Feb 2009

Personally I use Google as my home page as I have so many things I want to know or have help with. I only bother other people if I can't find an answer on my own.

MAT ALAN 13:48 08 Feb 2009

canarieslover, and thats realy how it should be, don't think anybody on this forum has a problem with that.
There is a wealth of good relevant info out there including our own "search forum" database i think sometimes people like to be reasured that they are doing the right thing....

IClaudio 14:16 08 Feb 2009

That's a little harsh...

Yes, many questions asked here can be answered by Google in 0.23 seconds... but...

The people here are (mostly) very pleasant and so willing to give much more than the bare answer, aren't they? These forums are always my first port of call when I have a problem with hardware or software. And I can usually find an answer...

What winds me up are the 'weather' threads, and the 'Lewis Wins!!!!" threads and the 'Music Industry/Games Industry is ripping us off (because I'm too mean to pay for anything and want everything FREE)' threads.

anskyber 14:24 08 Feb 2009

Remember, I did say with tongue firmly in cheek!

I think many of us use Google to help here. the "trick" really is to sift through the results and find something which will genuinely help the questioner.

IClaudio 14:59 08 Feb 2009

You did indeed <blush>: as usual, my typing fingers were quicker than (what's left of) my brain :)

birdface 15:01 08 Feb 2009

Hi anskybar.Just wondering apart from getting an e-mail from my grandson the only other thing I did was open your click here.Just opened my e-mail to answer my grandson and got a pop up wanting me to change default web browser to My Start which I had not heard of before so not sure if I got it from grandson or you.Thought I would mention it before Googling for answer.Just wondered how it got through my security.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?