Google facing Valentine's Day dump

spikeychris 11:38 13 Feb 2006

Google is set to feel the wrath of supporters of a free Tibet who are trying to gee up interest in a boycott of the leading search engine because of its recent decision to censor information and links from its Chinese site, google.cn.

Pro-Tibetan supporters are using Valentine's Day to officially launch a new site - noluv4google.com/ - where Google users are encouraged to publicly disavow their love for the Big G.

click here

Thalmus 11:49 13 Feb 2006

Don't blame Google, blame the chinese goverment

spikeychris 11:53 13 Feb 2006

Nope - I'll blame Google thank you very much.

Check out the video.

click here

OTT but interesting.

Thalmus 12:00 13 Feb 2006

THe Chinese goverment basically gave google the choice - put a censored server in our country or don't put one in there at all. Even if they didn't put a server in in China google searches would have been censored using chinas firewalls

spuds 12:01 13 Feb 2006

It took a very long time for the Berlin Wall to come down. Give China time.

Haol 12:34 13 Feb 2006

The video was interesting but right now I'm not really sure on who's fault is is.

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:11 13 Feb 2006

It is China's country and it is up to the state to decide what Google can and can't do. I can imagine some on here wailing if other countries tried to tell the UK what to do.

G

ade.h 13:55 13 Feb 2006

Google's only alternative option was not to enter the Chinese market. Since it's a business and not really in a position to play politics, I can't really blame it for its decision.

Saying that, I can understand where the Tibetan campaigners are coming from, given their country's situation. I wouldn't blame Taiwan if it felt the same way.

spikeychris 13:58 13 Feb 2006

I don’t blame the Chinese at all, what they do is their own affair.

Human Rights Watch boss Ken Roth, says this:

“I'm sure Google justifies this by saying it's just a couple of search words that people can't get to, but it's very difficult for Google to do

what they just did and avoid the slippery slope. The next thing they'll do is ask them to tell them who is searching for "Taiwan" or "independence" or "human rights." And then it's going to find itself in the position of turning over the names of dissidents or simply of inquisitive individuals, for imprisonment.”

The key in my view is that every company faces the same dilemma -- how do you maintain your principles while benefiting from the enormous Chinese market. And the answer is only going to come through safety in numbers. And it's going to require all of the search engines to get together and say "None of us will do this." And China needs search engines. If it can pick them off one at a time, it wins. If it faces all of the search engines at once banding together, the search engines win.

Google's got a great philosophy of "Do No Evil." And I'm sure they say well, "It's better for us to be there than for us not to be there and there are just a few things that people can't search for."

Its not actually a few things either Google said it would include notes at the bottom of results pages that disclose when content has been removed this isn’t happening and Google frequently filters out sites without revealing it.

What’s the point of a map that offers misleading directions? At least put that note at the bottom of the page saying it has been censored then the reader is aware of possible contradictions.

Chegs ®™ 15:13 13 Feb 2006

"how do you maintain your principles while benefiting from the enormous Chinese market."

Easy answer,business has no principles.They saw,they entered the market and if it means upsetting folks,so what.

I can appreciate that in so doing,Google might upset a lot of folks but they're likely to win more custom from a vast market than they allienate.

SG Atlantis® 17:30 13 Feb 2006

When a company wants to trade within a country they have to abide by the law, that's it.

Google wanted into China so they have to do what the law of the land states.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone