Google all advice! Don't be too trusting...

slimk 20:11 05 May 2008

Hiya folks,
I try and help out on these boards now and then. There's some good people out there...and some dodgy ones.
I've seen recommendations for obscure applications/programs on a lot of posts. Be careful and don't take anyone's word for using these programs. Google them first. Type the name of whatever program and add review. For example search 'Spybot reviews pcadvisor'. This way you will know that you are getting the best out there.
There are people on these boards who are clearly marketing their product. That's fair enough, as long as you compare available products before installing anything on your PC.
It's a wild west jungle out there folks. Be careful!

JYPX 20:23 05 May 2008

Which is why I would be in favour of a post
count. Time spent on other forums suggest to me that
spammers are not usually the forum members that
have 13,723 posts.

slimk 21:55 05 May 2008

Yeah, fair point.
Post count, moderator and maybe a rep score. People come for advice and can be led towards questionable solutions/applications. The forum should have 'stickies' too. Some people are IT virgins and can't tell good advice from bad.

shizzy 22:12 05 May 2008

Moderator?
What's wrong with an FE.

laurie53 07:03 06 May 2008

Any examples?

I always thought this forum had a good reputation regarding dodgy posts.

Stuartli 08:36 06 May 2008

As laurie53 rightly states, these forums have a good reputation regarding doubtful postings - the FE is very quickly advised.

Stuartli 08:37 06 May 2008

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?