Good value for money

peter99co 11:49 27 Jun 2008

I think this is very reasonable, don't you?

click here

Seth Haniel 11:52 27 Jun 2008

at the post office for 36p

stick it on your envelopes, send it to your friends ;)

birdface 12:29 27 Jun 2008

At £1.30 for a litre of fuel.I can't see anyone grumbling about paying 66p a year.Cheap at the price.

interzone55 13:48 27 Jun 2008

With the huge budget of the country, £40m is nothing. Especially when you compare it to the £500mn wasted annually due to people not turning up for doctors appointments.

dagbladet 13:55 27 Jun 2008

"I can't see anyone grumbling about paying 66p a year..."

I would be staggered if that were the case.

Weskit 14:33 27 Jun 2008

I'm more concerned about what Westminster and Brussels is costing me, and I don't mean sprouts...

Clapton is God 14:39 27 Jun 2008

Westminster sprouts??

I don't think I've heard of those before.

Or is it a euphemism for MPs?

Cymro. 14:56 27 Jun 2008

Even if the monarchy did not cost us a single penny I would still be very much against it. It is not the cost that matters to me but the principle of having a monarchy.

Why should someone just by accident of birth be considered so superior to us that they are automatically entitled to govern over us?

Many of you will say that having a monarchy is better than being governed by some politician be he a president or prime minister. But at least we can vote a politician out of office but it is not so easy to get rid of a monarch unfortunately.

Clapton is God 15:13 27 Jun 2008

You've fallen into the basic trap of assuming the Monarchy are "superior to us".

Of course you're entitled to that view, but it's rather 19th century isn't it?

I'd be the first to agree that they are an anachronism which shouldn't exist in the 21st century. An utterly pointless leftover from former 'tug my forelock and go down on bended knee' times.

As far as governing over us goes - do they?

How?

Do they make the laws of the land and tell us how and what to do?

No, they don't. Luckily over the years their powers have been, quite rightly, stripped away by successive governments.

peter99co 15:20 27 Jun 2008

Luckily over the years their powers have been, quite rightly, stripped away by successive governments.

I don't think it is lucky at all, when those same governments abuse the powers they have taken. Thank goodness we can vote them out!

Clapton is God 15:25 27 Jun 2008

"I don't think it is lucky at all"

So, you would prefer to still have an all-powerful monarchy?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?