Good use of Fire Brigade?

interzone55 21:04 22 Oct 2008

Sorry sir, we can't put out your fire, all our officers are trying to find a hamster...

click here

Condom 22:07 22 Oct 2008

I supose it is similar to rescuing cats caught up in trees. I think Brigades are now officially called Fire and Rescue. One could argue that this could be useful training in the use of their equipment if you were to substitute a young child for a hamster. I don't think I said that correctly but I'm sure you know what I mean. Brigades spend more time in training than at actual fires so it would be a change for them to get out of the station and try their equipment out in a more normal environment than a fire station training room. It was also probably the NO 2 or 3 Appliance that attended leaving the No 1 at the station. I'm trying to be charitable here as it is nice to read some "nice stories" in these days of doom and gloom. I'm also sure that everything would have stopped PDQ if an actual emergency had occurred.

Bapou 22:34 22 Oct 2008

Only yesterday Richard Littlejohn had a lot to say about today's Fire Service on what Firefighters can and can't do these days. This must have been a very important hamster.

click here

Forum Editor 22:46 22 Oct 2008

that firefighters are just as capable of ludicrous behaviour as many other public employees.

Like the local authority office manager I mentioned some weeks ago who called a meeting, complete with coffee and sandwiches, to tell team leaders they must document all instances of paper cuts sustained by members of their teams, and what steps they took to monitor the injury in case the council was sued for having paper that was too sharp.

robgf 23:19 22 Oct 2008

I'm always amazed that members of the public call the Fire Brigade for such trivial problems.
But you would think that someone would have enough common sense to set a humane mouse trap, or two. Stupidity seems to be an essential requirement to work in the public sector.

laurie53 08:01 23 Oct 2008

What a load of soulless and miserable old so-and-so's.

It's a nice story with a bit of heart, and it's nice to see one now and again.

red1977 10:22 23 Oct 2008

couldnt disagree more. These people are paid to save lives and protect buildings/property from damage by fire, not look for rodents.

laurie53 20:16 23 Oct 2008

Actually they're not.

They are now a Fire & Rescue service, and there's nothing in their terms of employment about only rescuing people!

Condom 20:41 23 Oct 2008

Did anyone read about the little boy who died recently because he couldn't be recued in time from a hole in the ground. Training to rescue animals from similar circumstances is actually very good practice in the use of sound and thermal heat source equipment. Neither the animal nor child can understand verbal instructions and learning the skills of firstly finding and then coaxing whatever is stuck down there to come to where they can be rescued is a skilled art.

Little children who get into circumstances like this will not move as they are often terrified and all I'm saying is if it was your child would you prefer the fireman who had useful practice in this art and skill or the one who turned up with the instruction book openened at page 1.

Condom 20:43 23 Oct 2008

And as you can see I need a new keyboard

red1977 09:51 24 Oct 2008

Unlike you, I dont have access to their terms and conditions. It is still a waste of resources to rescue a rodent.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?