Good News For Some Of Us

  Bingalau 14:01 03 Apr 2007

Just copied this from a Daily Mail Newsletter..

Music lovers could soon be charged 12p less to download songs to their MP3 players.
Apple currently makes customers in Britain pay 79p per song from its iTunes store, 12p more than it charges in Europe.
Now iTunes is not just for iPods
The European Commission has threatened to fine the company more than £300 million if it does not change the policy in two months.
The commission is conducting an inquiry into sales of downloaded music in response to a complaint by the consumer group Which?.
It said: "Consumers are restricted in their choice of where to buy music, and consequently what music is available and at what price."
The commission has also written to the major record companies including Universal, Warner, EMI and Sony BMG over the pricing policy.
If Apple takes no action it could be fined up to 10 per cent of its turnover, about £323 million.
Apple is also to start selling music that can be played on all MP3 players, not just the iPod.
This is viewed as a high-risk strategy because customers will no longer have to own an iPod to buy from the iTunes store.

  Kate B 14:29 03 Apr 2007

The Daily Mail has slightly confused it - it's not known for being good on technology.

First, it's only a probe by the Competition Commission, and the parties involved have two months to reply. Don't hold your breath on anything happening soon; and the 12p less is an extrapolation of the French/German charge.

On the "iTunes is not just for iPods", bear in mind that even the DRM-free version of tracks to be sold through the iTMS (for an additional 20p) will still be in AAC. That format plays on some phones, the Zune and the iPod, but not on a lot of other mp3 players.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?