Good for her - Sainsbury's girl

wiz-king 07:49 04 Jul 2013
Answered

Girl wouldn't checkout till she had customers attention.

HondaMan 08:37 04 Jul 2013

I have to agree with the girl. She is a human being, not a machine, and deserves some respect. I would have thought that the customer would want to watch their shopping go through to ensure that nothing was amiss in any event. I always do!

hastelloy 08:42 04 Jul 2013

If I pretend to be on my phone next time I shop, will I get a £10 voucher?

Fully agree with HondaMan. Good manners cost nothing and mean a lot.

Quickbeam 08:45 04 Jul 2013

The picture in the link shows the till station with a customer duty of bag loading. Was the customer expecting the till operator to do that for her while she organised her lunch timetable?

Forum Editor 09:05 04 Jul 2013
Answer

I'm hugely irritated by people who don't have the manners to realise that their mobile call doesn't come before everything else. I've had a shop assistant answer her mobile right in front of me when I was standing at the till, waiting to be served. I walked out without spending anything.

Mobile phones are wonderful devices, but taking or making calls is something that needs to be done with a degree of respect for others, and for circumstances.

Chronos the 2nd 09:25 04 Jul 2013

Travel by train or bus and listen to the inane conversations, obviously I only hear one side but I can get the gist of the overall subject matter.And why is it necessary to raise ones voice when using a mobile? this has always struck me as odd.

I had the opportunity to travel first class on a train recently and the conversations from the very well dressed businessmen ETC where equally inane. Yes mobile phones are a great tool but I think most of us can survive without knowing that someone else is on the bus/train and surely it is very simple,if the call is important, to say to the caller, can you give me a minute whilst I deal with something immediate.

fourm member 09:37 04 Jul 2013

Reading the story, it seems the customer gave a very sarky answer to being told the checkout operator would wait.

Based on the reported story, it looks like Sainsbury's has made the wrong call by not supporting its staff against rudeness.

exdragon 09:57 04 Jul 2013

Our local post office has a notice saying people using their mobiles whilst at the counter will not be served. Quite right too. Whatever happened to good manners?

Mr Mistoffelees 10:02 04 Jul 2013

I agree 100% with the FE on this.

johndrew 10:26 04 Jul 2013

It is time that certain individuals learned how intrusive and rude mobile 'phones can be. I am sick and tired of those who believe the be-all and end-all of life is their 'phone and refuse to prioritise even conversations above them.

In this case I agree with those above who support the check-out girl as the ignoramus who complained should have the 'phone removed (surgically if necessary) on a permanent basis and retrained in manners.

Quickbeam 11:44 04 Jul 2013

Chronos the 2nd

"Travel by train or bus and listen to the inane conversations,"

There's your answer to the point of Twitter. You don't have to listen to tweeting twits like you do the talking twits!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

Best Album Art 2017: Nominees & past winners of Best Art Vinyl Awards to be exhibited

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Comparatif : quelle est la meilleure batterie externe 2017 ?