Going Wireless....

Seth Haniel 08:18 24 Jul 2009

click here

A system that can deliver power to devices without the need for wires has been shown off at a hi-tech conference.

The technique exploits simple physics and can be used to charge a range of electronic devices.

We can be truly wireless ;)

Quickbeam 08:24 24 Jul 2009

I can't wait for B&Q to get the wireless electric mowers in.

laurie53 09:43 24 Jul 2009

If this coil in the ceiling is resonating all the time, then you are using power all the time, whether you're using anything or not.

Does it use more power the more slave devices there are or not?

Wireless devices can already interfere with each other sometimes. That is likely to increase dramatically. How many frequencies/channels would be needed? The spectrum is finite after all.

In the past there have been suspicions that LF frequencies can be physiologically damaging. I'm not sure that all those suspicions have been allayed.

As in so much research, the theory can be proved, the practicalities are another matter.

Having said that, this is the Holy Grail of power distribution, and a vast amount of time and money is being spent in this area. Sooner or later somebody will solve it, this might be the one.

Quickbeam 10:03 24 Jul 2009

"...suspicions that LF frequencies can be physiologically damaging."
For little more than a hundred years we've had various waves of one sort or another in the air, radio, radar, mobiles, nuclear emissions etc. And the twentieth century has the highest incidence of cancers, but scientists deny any links. Scandinavia is the most cautious country regarding the siting of overhead power lines despite no conclusive proof that there might be a problem, so I think I will have to use a cabled mower for a while yet then.

Seth Haniel 11:14 24 Jul 2009

heres me thinking you let the grass grow under your feet :)

laurie53
there might be an on/off switch for the ceiling coil ??!!

Si_L 11:36 24 Jul 2009

"the twentieth century has the highest incidence of cancers"

Any evidence for this claim?

wiz-king 11:46 24 Jul 2009

Pigeons will get lost with all those magnetic fields around - not to mention boy scouts with compasses.

Quickbeam 13:32 24 Jul 2009

No, it's still a very debatable subject.

All I was pointing out is that Scandinavians in general seem to be more of the belief that the man made magnetic fields of the 20th century has increased the incidence of cancers or physiological disorders. None of it is proven as far as I know, but does that mean that all Swedish scientists are overly paranoid?

click here

Other than a sympathetic view to this theory, I don't pretend in any way to be scientifically qualified or knowledgeable other than web source data, which is a free choice to be believed or not.

laurie53 18:18 24 Jul 2009

"And the twentieth century has the highest incidence of cancers,"

It also has the highest rate of motor vehicle emissions.

laurie53 18:21 24 Jul 2009

The physiological damage I was referring to was neurological rather than cellular, in particular time and space orientation and co-ordination.

Forum Editor 18:29 24 Jul 2009

that the 20th century had the highest incidence of cancers. For a start there's no way of knowing how many people died of cancer in the past. Autopsies were not routinely carried out until late in the 18th century, and before that many people must have died of cancer without ever knowing what made them ill.

Cancers have probably been around as long as we have - there is certainly evidence that the ancient Egyptians knew about them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?