Going out of your way to be Green...

interzone55 17:11 22 Jun 2011

KLM have announced that they will use 50% biokerosene on 200 flights between Paris and Amserdam.

The biokerosene will made from used cooking oil collected from hotels & restaurants, before being sent to the US for refining, then sent back to Paris & Amsterdam for storage.

Just how much fuel will be used moving this used oil from place to place?

BBC Link

canarieslover 19:17 22 Jun 2011

It's not what you do, it's what you are perceived to be doing.

Quiller. 20:21 22 Jun 2011

The wife wanted a new car and it had to be green, it's grey really.

She picked a Seat, made in spain and shipped to the uk. ;~]

the hick 21:19 22 Jun 2011

Surely, cooking oil is nothing like jet turbine fuel? Any aero-engine experts among our members? Also, must need to collect from several restaurants, bearing in mind the quantities aircraft use. Does not soound plausible, really.

interzone55 22:07 22 Jun 2011

Jet fuel is not massively different to diesel.

I once got stuck in the tribal lands of the North West Frontier Province of Pakistan, and some people who I've now found out were Taliban, gave us 20 gallons of JP7, which the US military developed for their Blackbird hypersonic reconnaissance aircraft, but it worked just as well in the armoured vehicles they'd "won" when the Russians scarpered, and our Land Rover...

Forum Editor 23:28 22 Jun 2011

Biokerosene costs more to produce than conventional aviation fuel, but it performs as well, if not better. Production costs will come down, and a big factor is that vegetable oil-based fuel is carbon neutral - the carbon absorbed by the growing plants offsets that which is produced when the fuel is burnt in a jet engine.

Tests with biodiesel jet fuel mixed in ratios of up to 50/50 with conventional aviation fuel were carried out by several major airlines three years ago, with excellent results. The aircraft used - all Boeing jets - showed no signs of engine damage, and performance was actually better than with 100% conventional fuel.

ams4127 23:53 22 Jun 2011

In 1965 I was ordered to assist on a static Vulcan display at RAF StAthan.

We were approach by a Mum, Dad and kids.

Dad "What sort of petrol does it use?"

Chief "It uses paraffin"

Dad "Stop telling lies, it uses petrol"

Chief "No, it uses basically a type of paraffin"

Dad "Come on, you can tell me. I won't spread it around"

Chief (sighs) " OK, you got us. It uses ESSO, the one called Tiger"

Dad "There you are kids, I knew I was right"

Off they went, happy as Larry.

dagbladet 00:16 23 Jun 2011

We embarked our aircraft onto HMS Illustrious in the not too distant past. Got a visit to the engine room (size of a hanger), where the Chief pointed out her 4 Olympus engines (same as Concorde (RIP)) which ran on 'spun' diesel. Basically, take diesel/kerosene/paraffin, run it through a centrifuge to spin the cack out, et voila 22,000 tonnes @ 30 knots...and when I was struggling I ran my old tatty Citroen on old chippy oil passed through a sieve from poundland...it worked.

SparkyJack 08:40 23 Jun 2011

But will all these eco vehicles run on Lard or dripping?

[save the jelly good on toast} ;-}}

Chegs ®™ 10:39 23 Jun 2011

To run an unmodified diesel engine on waste cooking oil,do you need add anything or is it just a case of sieve the lumps out & bung it in the tank?

interzone55 11:13 23 Jun 2011

Chegs ®™

You don't need much equipment to make bio-diesel, there's plenty of websites out there with instructions, simply enter "how to make bio-diesel" in your search engine of choice, Google returned 9,120,000 results.

Be aware that the current rules only allow you to make 2,500l a year before you must pay duty at a rate 20p a litre below the duty due on standard diesel.

You should also be aware that if your car is still under warranty and it carks it whilst there's biodiesel in the tank the manufacturer may well declare the warranty void...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?