going back to school, sort of

  al's left peg 20:47 26 Oct 2008

I wonder if any of the forum members can help me with this one. The wife has worked in the health industry for many years now, mainly reception and other sort of office work both in hospitals and doctor surgeries. A few months ago she was asked to help out a bit on the ward in the hospital where she works and has really enjoyed it. One of her colleagues has suggested she would make a great nurse and it has really started her thinking that she wants to give it a go. I am behind her 100% and would love to see her do this. there is one problem though as her Maths and English grades are not up to what is required for the job. I have looked at various web sites regarding taking GCSE's but to be honest, I am not sure what course she would need. In our time we had CSE's and O levels which are now GCSE's I think. She needs a CSE grade 1 which is equivalent to an O level. Can she do a course online then take a exam at a designated centre?
Many thanks, in advance from me and my wife.

  silverous 21:49 26 Oct 2008

I wish your wife the best with this, I think the NHS could do with more people who want to be nurses.

Have you seen this?

click here

Under "Advice for adult learners" it points to calling Careers Advice helpline: 0800 100 900 for more information. Can't hurt to give them a call?

I don't know anything about this course or institution but this looks like the kind of thing you might be after:

click here


  octal 22:04 26 Oct 2008

I work in a hospital, one of the ways to get a foot on the rung is to apply as a healthcare support worker and when they see she has an aptitude for the work then the ward manager will quite often offer support for furthering her education, the NHS is very good at doing that.

  al's left peg 22:21 26 Oct 2008

Thanks Silverous, that does look like what she needs. We will look through it all properly and leave the thread open on the chance of more advice like yours comes along.
Octal, she is looking to do what you have suggested, her manager is right behind her and is assisting her with advice at the moment. If a chance comes along for healthcarer support she will take it. Thanks also for your advice.

  Condom 00:32 27 Oct 2008

Hi al's left peg
I spent most of my initial working life in the NHS ending up as head of several hospitals. The question of qualifications will to some degree depend on your wife's age. If she is still under 25 then a greater demand might be made for what you call school qualifications but this lessens as people get older and become more mature students.

There are also differing levels of being a "nurse" in that you can carry out care duties (care support worker) without being a Registered Nurse where a full qualification will be required for registration with the professional bodies. This was commonly referred to as a nursing assistant but the older 2 tier system of qualified nurses ie.,Enrolled and Registered is now gone.

Qualified Nurses today like many Health Care Professionals are qualified to degree level and it takes about 3 years to obtain this qualification which includes periods of practical work.

Can I suggest that your wife contact her local District General Hospital which should hopefully have a nursing school on site which is linked to a local university and talk to someone there who will be only too pleased to give her advise on what qualifications she might need and what openings and options are open to her. Nurse schools do of course recruit all over the UK but I'm sure that you would much prefer your wife to attend a local school.

Again there are many types of nursing from caring for people medically, mentally or midwifery care which sometimes have different requirements. What sort of nursing interests your wife?

I hope I have been of some assistance.

  josie mayhem 20:50 27 Oct 2008

Also check with your local college as they might provide a Access into nursing course which last a year...

This is a course for adult learners, who lack quaifications... After you complete this you can either then proced into a nursing training either via a hospital training or via uni the later you would enter nursing at a higher grade..

  wolfie3000 01:32 28 Oct 2008

My girlfriend works as a nurse in A&E and says although at times it can be stressful it is a very rewarding career,

We both wish you the best of luck.

  al's left peg 19:06 28 Oct 2008

Thanks to everyone who has posted with advice it is much appreciatted. This is the wife's first use of the helproom forum and can't believe how helpful the folks are on here.
Once again many thanks,
regards Al

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?