A gnat is challenging Goliath.

Forum Editor 18:09 28 Aug 2010

In about two weeks time there will be an alternative to Facebook for those who enjoy social networking.

Called 'Diaspora' it has been developed by 4 American students at a cost of £140,000. Hardly a fortune by today's software development standards, but according to its developers it's ready to face the world, and will be launched on 15th September.

The software will be open source, so anyone can modify it. Social networking is here to stay, and Diaspora might just appeal to the army of people who instinctively dislike anything that becomes big and successful.

click here for more information.

TopCat® 18:26 28 Aug 2010

I wish them luck with the venture but I hope they have built-in protection from the criminal element which will no doubt try to sabotage things. TC.

lotvic 19:00 28 Aug 2010

'Diaspora' ......... an unfortunate choice of name IMHO

DieSse 19:04 28 Aug 2010

click here

For those interested.

DieSse 19:05 28 Aug 2010

I suspect it's meant to imply a migration away from the commercial offerings (eg Facebook).

Why would that be an unfortunate name?

morddwyd 19:50 28 Aug 2010

"the army of people who instinctively dislike anything that becomes big and successful."

So that's why some members of this forum are so unpopular!

lotvic 20:02 28 Aug 2010

Well the slang/short for Face Book is FB

'Diaspora' Two words spring to my mind one is diatribe and the other an unpleasant tummy upset.

But then I'm not a fan of Facebook either :P

961 20:15 28 Aug 2010

The world has clearly gone mad

rdave13 21:06 28 Aug 2010

""Social Networking"

The world has clearly gone mad"
Don't know if I agree with that. Might upset Ebay as my sister-in-law seems to be able to sell an awful lot of second-hand and unwanted gifts locally via FB.

mr simon 22:21 28 Aug 2010

I would be very surprised if, three years down the line Diaspora has even 10% the users that Facebook has.

Forum Editor 23:07 28 Aug 2010

Fifty million users after three years would be doing very nicely, thank you. I have no idea how you arrived at your figure, but I imagine that it was guesswork. Personally I would be surprised if it was as high as 10%, but that's also guesswork.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017