Ghost Written Novels

interzone55 12:46 30 Jul 2007

I was reading the Independent On Sunday yesterday and came across an interesting piece comparing Jordan & Alistair Campbell - they both have an overpowering need to be loved...

Anyway, the piece mentioned that Jordan's fourth novel was at the top of the best sellers list, an amazing feat considering that she hasn't written a word of any of the books.

My question is, and this is related to the copyright threads, who gets the author's royalties when a book is ghost written?

Does Jordan get a fee for the use of her name, and the actual author collects the royalties, or does the author just get paid to write the book & Jordan rakes in all the cash?

Si_L 13:08 30 Jul 2007

It could be that the author gets a fixed fee or a percentage of the royalties. I would bet my left leg that Jordan will get most of it though.

Clapton is God 13:11 30 Jul 2007

If nothing else Jordan (or Katie Price or whatever she calls herself this week) has proved to be an astute businesswoman.

I think it's reasonable to assume, therefore, that she and her ghost writer will have reached a (written) agreement about fees/sharing of royalties, etc before even the first word of her book is committed to paper.

I rather suspect that Jordan Katie Price will also get the lion's share of any income accruing from the sales of these books.

€dstowe 13:16 30 Jul 2007

I don't think it's the person herself who is an astute business woman, she, and her husband, are just the public face (the wrapper) of a an efficient business.

interzone55 13:55 30 Jul 2007

No, I disagree there.

Katie Price is a very good business woman, she has used (and enhanced) her assets very well, and become very wealthy at the same time.

She and her husband are much the same as the Beckhams, the only difference being that Katie and Jordan seem to have a sense of humour, whereas "Posh" & "Becks" take themselves far too seriously.

€dstowe 14:05 30 Jul 2007

Her "enhanced assets" are the wrapper I mentioned. Without them she would be an ordinary woman. It is the business people who are backing here that take advantage of those assets.

What does the woman offer apart from a over inflated pair of bazooms and a failed pop star husband. At least one of the Beckham pair has some true talent and reason for being famous although I can't see myself why this should generate almost religious adoration.

Kate B 14:17 30 Jul 2007

I agree with alan14, she's a very smart cookie. What she and her husband offer is access to a lifestyle that a lot of people are nosy about and so therefore there's a market for their TV series. Not my taste, though I did absolutely love the wedding show, but successful. Good luck to them.

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:28 30 Jul 2007

her 'autobiography' was No1 in the bestseller charts for some weeks and she and her husband are very clever although they are careful not to give the impression of being astute. I can't stand her but I do admire her.

G

Stuartli 16:04 30 Jul 2007

Katie Price is, as already stated, very astute.

Extremely irritating woman though as far as I'm concerned and not half as sexy as she seems to think, but certainly piling on the pounds (in the financial sense).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?