This is Getting Silly

laurie53 20:19 29 Jun 2008

In Sweden two children not invited to a birthday party may have had their human rights violated.

click here

Sweden, I remind you, is a member of the EU and bases its national law on the same human rights directive as we do!

good grief! where is this nonsense going to end up?

birdface 21:24 29 Jun 2008

Does that mean you have to invite the school buly or anyone else that has not been kind to you.I am not saying in this case that this is what happened.I never got an invite and I am not complaining.Does he have to invite the rest of the school as well.I suppose that Giving out invitations at school will get banned.It's a pity as that is where most of there friends are.

wee eddie 21:51 29 Jun 2008

No it doesn't

What it means is that ~ If you hand out Invites in the view of all, you should invite all. There will, of course, be derogations. I think that the School Bully would be included under that heading.

However, he'd probably come anyway!

ulrich 22:15 29 Jun 2008

What a load of rubbish. My son invited whoever he wanted whether he actually did it during a class is in one way irrevelant, the lad shouldn't have done so anyway, but to say he should have invited everyone is the biggest load of nonsense I have ever heard. you must be one of these so called Human rights people who say don't send killers to jail for life. I am sorry but I cannot explain how I feel about such rubbish.

gardener 22:28 29 Jun 2008

At least no one was stabbed to death over it.

Forum Editor 23:02 29 Jun 2008

has the right idea here - this boy made a deliberate exclusion of the two boys in front of the whole class, and could easily have handled it another way. The school was right to put a stop to it, although it seems to have blown up into something a tad silly with the mention of human rights.

It has little to do with human rights and everything to do with commonsense.

Forum Editor 23:04 29 Jun 2008

"you must be one of these so called Human rights people who say don't send killers to jail for life."

I suggest that you settle down and stop making such silly comments, just because someone says something you don't agree with.

Chegs ®™ 03:16 30 Jun 2008

When I was at school and many times since,I used to hear people saying "There's nowt like children to be heartless" I do not condone bullying in any way,but if the birthday boy decided he didnt want two of the class to attend his party thats his choice.I do not think the teacher was right in interfering,or in confiscating the invitations.The bigger the fuss made,the more that ill feeling will surface.One sure way to get a child to befriend a "wrong-un"(or 2)is for his father to advise his son to stay away from the other. :)

€dstowe 06:30 30 Jun 2008

This is something which should have been kept within the boundaries of the classroom, or at best the school concerned.

At one time the "silly season" of the UK press (and media) used to be just that, silly and frivolous. Now it is downright stupid and dangerously provocative.

exactly! i cant believe what im reading here. what he did was wrong, agreed. i think the point is it looks like the people involved have to go poking around "The boy's school says he has violated the children's rights and has complained to the Swedish Parliament. " just to check they're not going to offend anyone or hurt anyones feeling get fined sued etc.
i would have been taken to a room and explained what i did was was mannered and selfish and explained a better way to handle my invitations.
and not ask the bloody parliament for advice!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?