Getting a giant screen in your town?

TopCat® 17:40 25 Jul 2008

Quote: 'Up to 28 giant TV screens are to be erected in towns and cities across the UK to televise live action from the Beijing and London 2012 Olympics.

Eight permanent screens and a number of temporary screens are being planned to show this year's event in China....' click here

I'll bet the Greens and others concerned with environmental matters will have much to say about this proposal. What say you? TC.

Quickbeam 17:48 25 Jul 2008

Sounds like they're desperate to get the public onside for our Olympics.

Forum Editor 18:39 25 Jul 2008

in Times Square when I'm in New York, and there's always a fair-sized audience doing the same. I think the big screens are a great idea - they'll have no permanent environmental impact.

Clapton is God 19:23 25 Jul 2008

"Getting a giant screen in your town?"

I sincerely hope not.

I can't imagine anything worse than trying to watch the Olympics (or anything else) out of doors in a scrum with the hoi polloi

laurie53 19:44 25 Jul 2008

Since my living room will be an Olympic free zone, looks like I'm confined to he house for the duration!

spuds 20:11 25 Jul 2008

I don't know about giant screens for the olympics, but one of our local cinemas have recently installed cctv for watching the audiences activities. Screen in the foyer for everyone to see.

Todays papers seem to be suggestion that the hotel rates in China are falling, due to not taking enough booking.

interzone55 20:16 25 Jul 2008

We've got one in Manchester, it's currently showing live feeds of some Peregrine Falcons nesting on a roof somewhere in the city...

click here

At other times it shows local travel news & generally has a feed of the BBC local news. It also shows some sporting events and the Proms...

al7478 20:26 25 Jul 2008

totally unnecassary waste of money.

im too scared to even think what theyll think of next.

"the uk will be in debt for donkeys years, and bejing is...well...in china, but hey, look at the size o' that"!

Thanks gov't. I'm oh so grateful.

Quickbeam 20:41 25 Jul 2008

But it does read as if I'm as sceptical as the rest. I will of course be watching most of the track and field events and any others that spark the interest.

Clapton is God 21:05 25 Jul 2008

"I will of course be watching most of the track and field events and any others that spark the interest"

And so will I - but in the comfort of my own home.

Stuartli 00:17 26 Jul 2008

Up to 28........:-)

Hardly ground breaking.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?