Germany gives 60m euros to Auschwitz

Uboat 21:26 15 Dec 2010

I haven't created this thread to cause any kind of Anti this or Anti that!
I just thought this was a lovely thing to do! bygones be bygones! & this is lovely of Germany in the current economy!

We should ALWAYS have funding for our history even if we disagree or not understand it

click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:33 15 Dec 2010

'The barracks, gas chambers and other buildings that are part of the memorial are in need of urgent repair'...the irony, as usual, has not escaped me.

G

Uboat 21:43 15 Dec 2010

GANDALF i believe its all about letting youth understand what it was all about & that we should never forget... im not sure how the BBC worded it but i personally would not like to see it in 15 years time falling to the ground and just ruins! would that be justified.? to leave it to fall to pieces.?

Flak999 21:45 15 Dec 2010

"I just thought this was a lovely thing to do! bygones be bygones! & this is lovely of Germany in the current economy!"

I don't know about it being lovely! As for letting bygones be bygones I cannot imagine that happening whilst survivors of the death camp still live.

It is however good to see Germany still prepared to acknowledge it's guilt as a nation, for what was after all the biggest example of state sponsored mass murder in human history.

It's a pity that other countries who have also been complicit in war crimes such as Japan and Russia are also not so keen to acknowledge and atone for their guilt for crimes committed during that period

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:50 15 Dec 2010

It would be better to let the camp die gracefully. Do you really think that the money would not be better spent on the living?

'i believe its all about letting youth understand what it was all about'......do behave. Do you really think that this fossilised monument will stop anything? Judging by the number of conflicts since 1945 and the number of atrocities committed, I would score it extremely low in the prevention stakes. Targetted education is better than gawping at long dead buildings. Let it rot and move on.

G

Uboat 21:58 15 Dec 2010

I dont know guys! i think i'd rather it be preserved over letting it just fall to bits...maybe your right and im wrong..

Flak999 22:11 15 Dec 2010

I agree with you, and so does the UN. The site at Auschwitz-Birkenau has been declared as a UNESCO world heritage site it's purpose being:

"Auschwitz - Birkenau, monument to the deliberate genocide of the Jews by the Nazi regime (Germany 1933-1945) and to the deaths of countless others bears irrefutable evidence to one of the greatest crimes ever perpetrated against humanity. It is also a monument to the strength of the human spirit which in appalling conditions of adversity resisted the efforts of the German Nazi regime to suppress freedom and free thought and to wipe out whole races. The site is a key place of memory for the whole of humankind for the holocaust, racist policies and barbarism; it is a place of our collective memory of this dark chapter in the history of humanity, of transmission to younger generations and a sign of warning of the many threats and tragic consequences of extreme ideologies and denial of human dignity."

To let it decay would then allow the revisionists of later generations to deny it ever existed. It serves the purpose of all museums, to educate and preserve history. So that others who come after have a better understanding of that period in our history.

morddwyd 06:58 16 Dec 2010

I think it should be preserved as a reminder of the madness that can overtake any civilised and cultured nation given the right circumstances.

It happened to be Germany, it could just as easily have been the British, the inventors of the concentration camp, or the Americans, where Andersonville was certainly more than a nod in that direction.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?