Geocaching anyone?

QuizMan 18:02 30 Jan 2012

For the uninitiated, geocaching is a worldwide electronic treasure hunt. You need a GPS device and a willingness to walk, plus some spare time.

Caches are mostly in waterproof containers of various shapes and sizes. There are over 1.5m caches hidden all over the world and you should have a good number near you, unless you live on a remote island somewhere. I have 35 within a 2 mile radius of my house.

The best site for further information is geocaching.com. Basic use is free. I have premium membership for US$30 p.a. and it is money well spent for getting out into the open air and rummaging around in the undergrowth. The site gives the GPS location of the caches and these need to be transferred to a GPS device, usually electronically. I just use my mobile, but I am about to invest in a handheld GPS (car SatNavs are not sufficiently accurate).

I have been dabbling on and off for about 9 months now and have found just over 100 caches. The more serious cachers have thousands of finds to their name. Searching the forum turns up very little in the way of previous items so I am curious to know if I am alone within the PCA fraternity in having a hobby such as this.

wiz-king 18:09 30 Jan 2012

I don't play myself but I have heard of it. I have seen a few people wandering round my local common looking down holes and in the leftover WW2 bunkers and things we have on the common. I thought that probably what they were doing.

Aitchbee 19:43 30 Jan 2012

Quizman - are the prizes found, any good?

(I haven't clicked on your link yet...depends on your answer)

QuizMan 19:54 30 Jan 2012

AitchBEE - no prizes, just the thrill of the chase. In theory, if the container is large enough it will have items to swap. They tend to be of the christmas cracker variety, so if you were thinking of making your fortune, forget it. I swapped a marble for a thimble last week (although I rarely bother with swaps)! It can be a family activity; children/grandchildren love it and they make better seekers of the cache than us older ones.

Perhaps you should register for free and find out how many local ones you have. I think you will be surprised. Don't worry about spam if you sign up, it doesn't happen.

Aitchbee 19:59 30 Jan 2012

Thanks Quizman, finding things in my house is enough of a challenge :o)

QuizMan 20:31 30 Jan 2012

AitchBEE - I concur. Unfortunately car keys, spectacles etc cannot be traced with GPS co-ordinates.

Condom 00:33 31 Jan 2012

Anyone really interested can arrive at my house where such an object is buried in the back garden. Trowels and handforks will be supplied but only neat gardeners need apply...:-))

Woolwell 11:20 31 Jan 2012

Did it originate from letter boxing? Dartmoor letterboxing

QuizMan 15:34 31 Jan 2012

Woolwell It started in USA in 2000. The history is here Geocaching history

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone